Upon booting my XPS m1710 keeps asking for a system or administrator password, which I don't have. The service tag on the machine is HVVVZ2J. Dell support is reluctant to give me a master password because the person I bought the laptop from is not to be found in their database (they tell me). Can anyone help me please?
Many thanks in advance
Jozef Messiaen
Belgium

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Your best bet is to try to get into the BIOS setup screen and see if you can remove the password from there. If the BIOS setup is also password protected then your only real option is to try removing the CMOS battery and see if that will default the BIOS and let you back into the BIOS to make changes. All of this is going under the assumption you are talking about the Boot password and not the Operating System password of course. It wasn't entirely clear in your post. But hope this helps.

Upon booting my XPS m1710 keeps asking for a system or administrator password, which I don't have. The service tag on the machine is HVVVZ2J. Dell support is reluctant to give me a master password because the person I bought the laptop from is not to be found in their database (they tell me). Can anyone help me please?
Many thanks in advance
Jozef Messiaen
Belgium

the person you bought it from must have the password

Actually caperjack that is not necessarily true. Many times you can buy a used laptop from a consignment shop or from a pawnshop where you have no contact from the original owner. Just for your info.

. Just for your info.

thanks i'll store that in my memory bank.,an im sure there are many other scenario also

or one could have stolen it from the original owner ,therefor cant contact them also ,ect ect .

The bios password is an anti theft feature. If you cannot get the password from the original owner and Dell wont help then you are stuck. Those are the only legal ways of getting past the password and we cannot assist you!

I agree with most of the posts, this would basically constitute as hacking a machine. It is also true that it could've been stolen and pawned, the possibilities are endless.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.