Hi there,

I just got a new laptop yesterday (refurbished) and i cannot connect it to the internet via a wireless network. it will connect with a wired one though. i've tried 2 seperate networks and all other computers seem to be fine on both so i'm guessing its something to do with my settings. when i tried to ping the IP address, it came back with media state... media disconnected. i don't know if this is part of the problem?

please somebody help me! thank you :)

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

In case of wifi, usually there is a key, WEP or WPA, which protects it, and you have to enter the key in the Connection settings to get access. The key is usually found when accessing the router via the url http://192.168.1.1 in a web browser

What laptop is it? It most likely has a wireless on/off switch and it looks as if it's turned off.

Its an Acer Aspire One. There's a wee switch at the front of the laptop and its definitely on. Thank you for your reply though.

Try turning it off then on again and see if there is any improvement.

If not try updating the driver using the wired connection! Sometimes the internal drivers are out of date and won't connect to newer wireless routers.

Hi,

If you could provide more information about your laptop (model, operating system, etc.)

Provide a screenshot of (Start > Run > TYPE: "CMD" > TYPE: "IPCONFIG/ALL")
--
Provide a screenshot of (Start > Right Click "My Computer" > Properties > "Hardware" Tab > "Device Manager" Button > Expand "Network Adapters")

Doing this above would will give me a better insight of troubleshooting the issue.

But by what you are describing to me, it seems as if this is a issue with your wireless network driver. I would suggest going to your manufactures website > search for your laptop > drivers & downloads and install the current dated wireless network driver.

Awaiting your reply,

If not try updating the driver using the wired connection! Sometimes the internal drivers are out of date and won't connect to newer wireless routers.

Hi there, thanks for your reply as this is something I've not tried. How do I do it thanks?

If you are running Windows 7 then go to Windows Update. Click Check Online for Updates. When finished you will find thre are some Optional updates. Click these and select the ones you want. One of them will likely be the Wireless Card driver.

If not then go the manufactures site of your laptop and see if they have any updated drivers for your laptop.

If all else files you need to find the make and model of the wireless card and then got to that manufactures site for the drivers.

it might be the WLAN driver issue please update WLAN driver....

If you read ALL of the posts in this thread, updating the driver has already been suggested!!!

If have to update drivers, grab a tool like DriverUpdate from http://www.driverupdate.net, and it will scan and download the updates automatically

update all driver and check whether your wi fi card is properly installed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.