Alright, here's the problem: Just a few days ago, my computer would just idle at the screen that displays the processor/company name for a good 2 to 4 minutes.
I havn't altered a single thing on the computer, so I have no idea what it could be.
Also, when it does get past the screen, it won't let me access the BIOS or boot into OS selection screen with F8.
My specs are:
Windows XP home edition SP2
Intel Celeron D 2.67ghz
512mb DDR400 ram
30bg HDD(9.5gb left)
onboard audio/video
Any help is appreciated...:(

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Alright, here's the problem: Just a few days ago, my computer would just idle at the screen that displays the processor/company name for a good 2 to 4 minutes.
I havn't altered a single thing on the computer, so I have no idea what it could be.
Also, when it does get past the screen, it won't let me access the BIOS or boot into OS selection screen with F8.
My specs are:
Windows XP home edition SP2
Intel Celeron D 2.67ghz
512mb DDR400 ram
30bg HDD(9.5gb left)
onboard audio/video
Any help is appreciated...:(

As i am not sure what may have caused this i would say....spyware. I am not sure if it can cause boot up problems. But i am sure it can. I would post in the virus section ;)

-T

Spyware can't mess your computer when Windows isn't loaded. If this was the case, even a clean install wouldn't clean the spyware. I think the problem lies somewhere in your IDE drives. Disconnect your IDE drives and see if the problem is resolved. If yes, reconnect the drives one by one and find out which device is causing the problem

Spyware can't mess your computer when Windows isn't loaded. If this was the case, even a clean install wouldn't clean the spyware. I think the problem lies somewhere in your IDE drives. Disconnect your IDE drives and see if the problem is resolved. If yes, reconnect the drives one by one and find out which device is causing the problem

Alright, thanks. By that you mean take out my cd drives, floppy, printer, etc?(Sorry, i'm a bit of a newb)

Alright, thanks. By that you mean take out my cd drives, floppy, printer, etc?(Sorry, i'm a bit of a newb)

Yes. It's better to start off with as minimum hardware as possible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.