what is the difference bw these numbers?
my hard disk is Momentus 7200.4 .. and ive seen some 500 and much more.. does it matter if i get anything besides 7200.4?

for instance can I get this?
Samsung Spinpoint M5 HM160HC - Hard drive - 160 GB - internal - 2.5" - ATA-100 - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

7200 is the speed. The 5400rpm ones are usually found in laptops and 'green' hard drives.
The second one you posted is for a laptop.

yea i know i have a laptop anyway.. so my question is can i get anything as long as its for laptops? i mean are the numbers matter or should i look for somthing specific?

As long as it's a 2.5 the rest should not matter :). Obviously if you need a sata drive, get that one :).

speaking of which lol what is the difference bw SATA and ATA? lol
thanks for the help buddy

Sata has the small connector. The other has the wide ribbon on it.

The numbers are there to describe a number of features of a hard drive. the 7200 is the number of revolutions per minute that he motor driving the platters of the disk will make. Obviously, the faster the disk spins, the more often the sectors containig the data pass under the read or write heads. The buffer size indicates how much data once read is stored in a virtual buffer that is integrated on the disks electronics. The larger this buffer is, the less often the disk has to retrieve the data already stored in the buffer, and the faster the data retrieval is. If your interested in saving energy, (Going "Green:"), using a 5400rpm drive with a larger buffer will give you acceptable data retrieval speed. Generally, a GAMER who is interested in speed will forego a "Green" drive and buy the faster drive. The Major difference between SATA and ATA, is the connector, but aside from that, SATA devices are expandable to a larger degree (you can attach more SATA devices to a single mother board than you can an ATA device). For the average user, and for a laptop, this distinction is meaningless since you must use the device the manufacturer has designed the mother board for. Since both the data and power connectors for SATA and ATA devices are different, you have to purchase the correct HDD or DVD drive in order for it to work. I beleive that the ultimate migration will be to an SSDD (Solid State Disk Drive), with an integrated data and power cable. That is currently on the way to being a reality since SSDD devices using SATA connectors are already on the market.

Hard Drive RPM Speeds
You will often see hard drives advertised as being capable of a certain RPM (Revolutions Per Minute). This figure (as the name suggests) refers to how many times the spindle makes a complete 360ยบ turn in any single minute.

The higher the RPM, the faster the data can be read from the platters, which increases overall performance.

RPM values range from about 5,400RPM to 12,000RPM and above.

speaking of which lol what is the difference bw SATA and ATA? lol
thanks for the help buddy

The difference consists in connector type, Sata has a small connector while ATA has 4-5 cm length connector.

data transfer rates are faster with a sata over a ata drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.