hi,

How to Downgrade IE7 to IE6. I got IE 7 by default from my xp CD, So, it is not
showing in add or remove even after checking the "show updates". I need IE6 to run one of my web application.

Plz let me know is their any procedure or to change any registry values to down grade or uninstall the IE7 in my system.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

in add and remove ,look in the left pain,click on windows components ,in there u can uninstall and reinstall is there

The uninstall files for IE can be found in C:\Windows\ie8updates\kb982381-ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe.

You can also revert to IE6, by browsing to C:\Windows\inf folder and locate IE.inf, right click it and select Install. You will need some files from your service pack (C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386) and your Windows XP CD.

Update:
I tried the C:\Windows\inf\ie.inf method and it just made it very unstable, so I do not recommend that approach.

so why did you recommend it in the first place

Why not just download Ie6 straight from the internet?

Do u have a good reason for downgrading?

Do u have a good reason for downgrading?

read the second line in the first post

It's on the wifes computer and her new work at home job requires only to use
IE7. How can this be done?

7 days OP has yet to return returned !

Maybe the OP found some help or install IE6 already and did not bother to come back and mark this thread as solved. This problem always happen to unsolved thread and always there will be someone to revive old thread.

just remove it & reinstall

Eh do you mean upgrade to ie8? It's quite simply vawncast easy. For ie7 to ie6 in the manner in whiche you're asking you'll need to go outside the use of your cd. It's best to get a fresh version online.

If you want to downgrade IE7 to IE8, you can do it from the Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates, because this is an update.

Then navigate to Internet Explorer 8 in the List and Uninstall it properly.

Good Luck

READ THE OP'S POST PEOPLE!

If you *slipstream* Internet Explorer it *CANT* be downgraded through add-remove programs.

READ THE OP'S POST PEOPLE!

If you *slipstream* Internet Explorer it *CANT* be downgraded through add-remove programs.

Me?
The thread title is a bit misleading, though. OP wants to get IE6 but thread title says it want IE8.

Edit
Unless you never read the first post, it tends to be confusing:)

thread going on 3 weeks old and OP has never returned ,OP wants ie6 not ie8 ,and we all know that ie6 comes with xp ,not ie7 ,reading the first post over and over its still weird

so why all the post to a question that is miss leading at best! and a topic that says ,how to downgrade from 7 to 8 ,thinking that would be a upgrade

we all know that ie6 comes with xp

If we are going to be pedantic, XP actually comes with IE 5.....

If we are going to be pedantic, XP actually comes with IE 5.....

im sorry Webster, xp sp2/3

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.