My computer is running on windows vista and for some reason it cannot get past the windows error recovery page (in black and white). It reads:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1.Insert Windows installation disc and restart
2.Choose language settings and click next
3.click repair your computer

Other options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Start Windows Normally

Unfortunately, every option does to not work. It seems as if my computer cannot recall the last know good configuration which is really stressing me out. I believe my computer was pre-loaded with vista from the manufacturer so I do not have a windows installation disc. I am not a very computer tech savvy person and any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

On almost all computers that have a factory install of windows have a function button ( or DEL or some other)to press at the very early screen before you reach the 'options' as above. pressing this function button will restore the computer to the state it was in when it left the factory unless you have an electrical or hard disk fault;
Secondly you say that the safe mode does not work, try tapping the F5 and F8 keys alternately during the boot process.... it may be necessary to wait quite a while as the safe mode can take up to several minutes to come up.

If none of that works see if you can find someone with a 'boot' disk. this may be a windows one or it could be a linux one and then once booted from the CD you can go and look at the boot.ini and boot.log files and see if they give you any help. The last entry in the log file is where it hung up and that may help you see why.

M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.