I'm running WIN 7 Pro, Office 2010 Pro on a Gigabyte motherboard, Intel core i3, 16GG MEM, and Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive. Everything is working properly so I hook up my second Seagage Barracude 500GB drive, format it with Seagate's DiskWizard and then try to use Microsoft's Backup and Restore program. I selected my new drive, Let Windows Choose the data files and create a system image and it's off and running. After several minutes, a get the message that Backup Completed Unsucessfully with an I/O error. The message states to run CHKDSK /R via the DOS prompt on the disks in question. So I did and I got successful runs on each of the volumes on drive 1 and drive 2. So I fire up Backup again and after several minutes, I get the error message, Backup Unsuccessful Completion, it did not mention I/O error. So am I doing something wrong? Does MS Backup really work?

Thanks for your help,
Speedy

Solved the problem. Just run Backup/Restore under the Administrator account. What I think happens is that when running under the User account and the Backup/Restore gets to the System Reserved volume and it wants to copy it or whatever, it croakes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.