Hi all
I have a Presario C500, Windows XP Home, 1GB RAM.
I was givin this laptop because the screen is white and glows.
I figured the screen broke so I bought another C500, to swap the screen out. I hooked up the 2nd screen and I still get a white glow. I hear the Windows system boot up but all I get is the glow.
I hooked up an external monitor and it works fine.
Do you think my motherboard is bad ? How do I test it ?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

If you can hear the windows system boot, it likely means your motherboard passed it's self test.
I'd guess that your graphics card broke down, maybe try switching that one?

Well when I plug in an external monitor, I get a visual on the screen. It works fine that way. I just don't get anything but a white glow on the LCD screen on the laptop. I only see where the screen plugs into the motherboard on the laptop. I don't see a graphics card ?

I don't see a graphics card ?

Your graphics card is not visible on the outer part of the computer. You would need to open up the laptop and make a replacement to see if it solves the problem.

I've taken the 2nd laptop apart that I bought for parts. I have the motherboard on my desk and I don't see anything as far as a "video card" goes. The place where the LCD screen plugs in is just a small plugin on the motherboard. Is there anyway I can send you a pic of it ?

Not many laptops have a discrete graphics card. I would say, based on the info given, that there is a problem between the screen and the board.

I'm guessing it's the board. I get the same results when I try different LCD'S. I will just use the laptop with an external monitor.
Thanks for everyones help. !!!!

Might be some loose connection to the screen. You can't really say it is a board problem unless the graphics card is integrated with the board. You might want to take it to a technician if not you can just use an external monitor.

riddle me this , if it shows on an external monitor ,how could it be a video card problem ,sounds more like a bad lcd[cable/plug] connection to the motherboard problem to me ,did the new lcd screen you bought come with its own connection or are you using the original cable

The second one I bought had all it's own stuff.It simply has one plug that plugs into the motherboard.

riddle me this , if it shows on an external monitor ,how could it be a video card problem ,sounds more like a bad lcd[cable/plug] connection to the motherboard problem to me ,did the new lcd screen you bought come with its own connection or are you using the original cable

Lol. Half of your post is repeating mine.

Lol. Half of your post is repeating mine.

sorry to repeat a good suggestion ,but i stopped reading your comments /post a long time ago .lol

Humor is good........how about a solution, LOL

Humor is good........how about a solution, LOL

i agree ,but i don't have a solid answer ,just an opinion ,and i think it a bad connection between the lcd and the motherboard ,the laptop im using right not has a bsad connection and goes white with lines but i fix it by opening and moving the wires from the lcd a bit and its good for a few months then starts over ,and its time to take it apart and fix it now

I have it taken apart. To get to where the LCD plugs into the motherboard, all I have to do is pop the plate the is above the keyboard, off. That plate just has the on/off button and a couple other buttons on it. After I pop that plate off I can plug and unplug the LCD to the motherboard. I have plugged in 2 different LCD's so far. Now, there was no 100% guarentee that both LCD's worked, so I am ordering a whole LCD setup and will plug that in and see if that might be it. I will keep ya updated.

I have it taken apart. To get to where the LCD plugs into the motherboard, all I have to do is pop the plate the is above the keyboard, off. That plate just has the on/off button and a couple other buttons on it. After I pop that plate off I can plug and unplug the LCD to the motherboard. I have plugged in 2 different LCD's so far. Now, there was no 100% guarentee that both LCD's worked, so I am ordering a whole LCD setup and will plug that in and see if that might be it. I will keep ya updated.

good luck .
yeah ,that all i have to do to,mine is a presario cq50.last time i rerouted the wire to under the hinge and it kept working for close to 4 months now ,but the white screen comes and goes when i move the lid ,till it gets really bad i will have to take it apart soon

Best of luck and if that does not work, you can either stick to using an external monitor or get a new laptop since the Compaq Presario C500 is quite an old model.

After trying another LCD screen, I have come to the conclusion that the plug, where ya plug the LCD screen into, had went bad. Very unusual but that's the only answer. Thanks to all who worked with me on this adventure !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.