Hi

I need to force a logoff for idle users through a gpo, after 2 or 3 hours of inactivity.

The suggested solution in every previous thread is using a screensaver that does the trick.

That's not good for me, because I need the screen saver to run after 15 minutes of inactivity and lock the computer. I need to force the end of a session after a much greater period of time.

Lock after 15 minutes (I already use the screensaver).
Logoff after 3 hours.

I'm using W2003svr and workstations have xp.

Thanks in advance!!
Lenni

Go to a DOS shell (cmd) and type NET CONFIG SERVER. Towards the bottom it should say something like "Idle Session Time: 15" - This means it'll log someone off after 15 minutes of inactivity, though I've never seen it in action. Use NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:x to specify a time in minutes for the allowed time of inactivity.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I've been searching online and it seems to me that NET CONFIG SERVER is used to disconnect mapped drives, or a connection to a shared folder or printer in general, i.e. the connections that you can see in NET USE. It doesn't seem to close the applications and finish the windows session for the user, which is what I'm looking for. I've tried it though, but it didn't work.
Thanks anyway. Any other help will be greatly appreciated.
Lenni.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.