I have an HP Notebook 4610. (AMD Processor, WXP.)

About twice a week the screen on the laptop goes completely black, yet the computer is still running. I use the touchpad and try to bring it back, however, it stays black. It is like the brightness was automatically shut off. I've tried raising the brightness and using the touchpad to "wake it up," as well as restoring the computer. The only solution to bring the screen back is to shut the computer down and put it back up via the power button.

Any suggestions? :idea:

Recommended Answers

All 40 Replies

Does it happen on both battery power and on the AC adapter?

I'm reviving this thread. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

This is happening with my HP Pavilion Laptop. It happens on AC and Battery Power. Sometimes when it goes black after about 2 seconds it comes back up. Other times it goes black and stays.

This happens during continuous use. I am either typing on the laptop, actively surfing the Internet, etc.

I have turned off Hibernation (can't see how it would be hibernation anyway was this happens not when I leave it idle but when it is in use).

I found this link: http://www-clmc.usc.edu/~jrpeters/pmwiki.php/Computer/White-screenProblem

I do not know if it would work. The problem is similar. In this article the screen is white and mine is black. Also, the notebooks are different.

Does anyone have a different suggestion? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

hi people .......
my pc turns blac too suddenly the screen is on the pc is on but it just turns black and never comes back and i don't even have the hibernate option in my computer i don't have any option except to shut it down manually and open it so is there a cure to prevent the black screen from showing up again????!?!?!?!

Go into a darkened room, check your black screen for your displayed page... if faintly there, and it responds normally to your manipulations, then it is your fluoro backlight dying, or its HV ps. Service call.

it can't be my fluoro backlight i bought the damn screen like 1 month only and no it doesn't respond to my manipulation but problem solved it seems that its all cause of the svchost takes lots of memory and so fixed it

it can't be my fluoro backlight i bought the damn screen like 1 month only and no it doesn't respond to my manipulation but problem solved it seems that its all cause of the svchost takes lots of memory and so fixed it

Could I have more details on this? svchost takes lots of memory and so fixed it? what did you end up doing to fix the problem?

Thanks.

format!!!!! and another screen went black i am starting to think i have an electriity problem :S

dodgy connections?

I had a similar problem, but it always came back. I got an exchange on the laptop. Eventually.

My notebook, a HP Compaq nx6120, 3 years old, also displays the above symptoms, since about 10 days ago. The screen appears black, but if one looks really closely the applications' windows are still there and functional but without any backlighting.

Is it as someone has commented a hardware backlighting problem, or is it a virus? If it's only happening with HP notebooks, then i'll not be getting HP again unless they fix this problem without charge.

I hope that this is not a problem that occurs with other notebooks.

I'm wondering though if travelling in a suitcase may have done it. It survived other trips.

Philip

I'm having the exact same problem!!!! Please any help?!

I have a Dell Inspiron that will be 3 years this summer...so it's not just HPs and the computer works and goes right with my commands but it's extremely faint, barely visible. and now it goes black within 2 seconds

It sounds to me like you need to replace the mainboard in the laptop. I am thinking that the Graphics card is buggered.

I have a HP Pavillion laptop and I am having the same problem. Any ideas on how to stop it? Ive been close to losing coursework for my GCSEs because of this.

I've been having this problem with an HP G60-445DX, though less severe than what I'm reading here. The screen will randomly go dark during normal use, but I can move the pointer and get the picture back. I don't know whether it's my model of laptop or my operating system (Fedora 11) that's making the difference in severity. I expect it has also been a problem of overheating for me, as it happens during extended use and, as far as I remember, when I have the system on my lap.

for all the screens going dim to almost black out there, your lcd inverters are crap. they are going or already went bad. change it out and your good to go.

My Compaq Presario 2568CL laptop was doing the exact same thing. I would turn it on and before even loading xp pro, it would go completely black but still be on. I began to think and search around and I found the solution! I was using the wrong charger!! Once I plugged in the correct charger, it worked perfectly. It has nothing to do with overheating, its just the charger. Make sure you have the right one, and if you have any doubts, but one on ebay for only 10-20 dollars. It worked for me.

www.drcomps.com

i can't believe it !! mine was the Charger, i unplugged the charger and ran it off the battery only and the problem goes away, have checked the model i have, with the one i should have on the dell website, and it's wrong ?? so try this before you try other things. it worked for me

My notebook, a HP Compaq nx6120, 3 years old, also displays the above symptoms, since about 10 days ago. The screen appears black, but if one looks really closely the applications' windows are still there and functional but without any backlighting.

Is it as someone has commented a hardware backlighting problem, or is it a virus? If it's only happening with HP notebooks, then i'll not be getting HP again unless they fix this problem without charge.

I hope that this is not a problem that occurs with other notebooks.

I'm wondering though if travelling in a suitcase may have done it. It survived other trips.

Philip

I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba laptop. The only problem is that I can't get mine to come back on. Also, when connected to another monitor, it will only say "your monitor is going to sleep". I beleive this is a virus... does anyone have any ideas on how to fix tis when you can't even see what your doing. My screen is also blank when booted and in start up mode.

I have a Compaq Presario V3000 and it has always done this. It will either go black or show some other solid color. When I put it into sleep and back it is fine. I've updated everything I can think of but still happens. It also seems to happen more while watching video which makes me think its the video card (intel 945 express)

my screen turns black too it just turns black and never comes back

It sounds like a virus of some kind. I would get it checked before something else goes rong!

And lets say my screen goes black and the only way to get the screen back up again is to shut it down too....BUT something that i've noticed on my HP laptop is that the mute function turns on, the wireless turns off, and i have no response from hitting any of the buttons.... any ideas?

If your laptop screen is not working and is blank, you are out of luck as far as working on your computer. However, while there may be a major problem you need to troubleshoot, there are some easy solutions to keep in mind as well, such as brightness settings and your power source.

Step 1
Check the power source. While you have presumably already attempted to turn your laptop on and off, the problem may lie with your AC power adapter. Is the power-indicator light on the adapter on? If not, your problem may lie here. However, whether or not you have a power indicator light on your adapter, consider unplugging it and plugging it into another outlet. This may turn on your HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop and take care of your blank-screen problem.
( HP Pavilion dv6000 Battery,30% discount now )
Step 2
Check your brightness settings. While it seems like a simple oversight, the brightness on your laptop may sometimes be turned all the way down. Thus, the screen appears to be black, off or defective, when the problem is simply that the brightness is on its lowest setting. To fix the brightness, check your laptop keyboard. Most laptops have the brightness settings mapped to two keys at the top left of the keyboard, accompanied by a symbol (often a sun). Use these keys to fix your brightness, but keep in mind that some laptops require that you press the Function key at the same time as the Brightness key.

Step 3
Check the status of your laptop battery itself. There should be a battery indicator on the laptop that is connected to the battery. This indicator is either on the bottom of the laptop or (likely) on the side. If there is no indicator, your battery itself may be the problem, and may require replacing. Keep in mind that older batteries of the nickel-cadmium variety are more likely to decharge over time and forget their initial maximum charge level; this may be a particular issue to users of older laptops.
( online shopping for high quality dell xps m1210 battery )
Step 4
Find a VGA connector and hook up your laptop to an external monitor if the above steps have not alleviated the blank-screen problem. Turn on the computer and the external monitor. Does the external monitor light up? If so, the blank screen is likely due to a video subset problem/LCD problem in your laptop.

Step 5
Consider that a deeper problem may exist if the external monitor did not light up This problem may lie in the motherboard. In this case, taking the laptop to a professional repairman or sending it off to the manufacturer is recommended.

Yes, I am a chinese boy. I dont know good english but i can helpped yor verrry eassy.

1: Go and turen of da lappop an turen it bacsk on like noarmel.
2: Press F (9 times) and thee screeen wuill turen bacckk on with colour and everythinag like noarmel ::)

Thiss work for me very gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Could I have more details on this? svchost takes lots of memory and so fixed it? what did you end up doing to fix the problem?

Thanks.

I have this problem as well, just started after installing win7, screen goes blank for maybe a few mins or 20 mins, just randomly, then after staring at the screen,,,, bang comes back on then works when it wants, I am positive it is not hardware.

Is there a lil webcam on top of the screen? It sees you staring....
Only slightly more seriously.. if it does not respond to software commands to turn on then it is either a software or hardware malfunction.
Try reloading your display adapter drivers. Test change screen resolution, disallow screen blanking after a period [power scheme]. If when the screen is blank you haul the pointer off to one side [just guess] and rclick to get the display context menu and still the screen does not respond, then once again, it's a soft or hard problem. In a darkened room can you see any faint window content? If so, hardware, the backlight.

Thought I would update on this. Might help others to!! Hopefully solved, Nvidia control panel was set to multiple displays, Laptop screen and Samsung T.V. on HDMI, I think it was periodicaly auto switching to the T.V. So I have disabled multiple screens so only the laptop screen is ticked and all seems well. I can still use the T.V. just have to manualy select. Happy days

I had this problem.
Screen eventually went permanently blank.
Have to use laptop with a monitor now or
replace screen.
Too costly to replace screen, so monitor does fine
although less convenient.
XP is too old now for investing in when there is another solution.
Hope you get sorted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.