When trying to install fonts recently, I discovered that the "Install New Fonts" option was missing from the Font menu. After hours of googling I found someone with a similar problem who was told that the font file was corrupted. I tried the suggestions to restore it but they were wrong. Then I discovered that not only were some capabilities of other applications (MS FrontPage, for one) were disabled or missing, when I tried to run Win98 troubleshooters...they were missing!

I have done everything I can think of with the exception of reformatting and reloading Win 98, which I hate to do. I've run every conceivable tool that Win 98 offers (System File Checker, Dr. Watson, Defrag). All tools reported no problems but there clearly are problems! I did a virus scan. Nothing.

Is it possible to reinstall Win 98 over the OS without reformatting? Is there a way to only restore the corrupted files without reinstalling the entire OS?

Thanks for any help! I'm at the "kill puter" stage now

You can reinstall win98 over itself, with out formating .boot computer with a win98 boot disk at the a:\ prompt type in, [ren c:\win.com win.old ],not a space after ren, with out the brackets ,then hit enter.then atthe A:\ prompt type [setup], with out the brackets.
when it come to where to install windows it will say C:\windows000 ,click other location and take out the 3 zeros and hit OK to copy windows over itsself

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.