Hello, I,ve been adviced by Hewlett Packard to do a total reinstallment of my XP home edition. My computer is just 9 months old and has 80 GB and 512 MB RAM. I've got a "recoverydisc" which doesn't help at all.
My questions:
1) In which box/slide shall I put this disc? E/F?
2) I've tried both E and F SLIDES but the "recoverydisc" shows nothing but four folders with several subfolders which doesn't mean anything to me, not even when opened.
3) In order to henceforth backup my folders and files I want to install the Restore Wizard but I can't find it anywhere, not on the "Recoverydisc" or the Internet.
When reading Microsoft's KB 302894 about how to manually install the backup utility under point one I can't find the file named "Ntbackup.msi" file anywhere with or without the disc in any slide. I've searched for:
CD_ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
but my computer has found NOTHING.
4)After that I've studied KB 305595 (in Swedish) which tells me to put a formatted disc into the computer and print
"format:a" in the COMMAND and then I get the answer:WRONG SYNTAX, CATALOGUE NAME OR VOLUME LABEL.
SOON I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!
ARE THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME AND GIVE THE RIGHT ADVICE TO A SOLUTION?

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
FROM GENEALOGIST

The recovery disk is a boot disk. You put it in the drive (usually the first one), reboot your computer, and the recovery disk will load and reinstall everything on your system.

Recovery disks are used to set all your software back to the state it was in when it was originally configured in the factory. None of your files will be saved.

If you wish to back up your files, there are many ways to do this. If you have a CD or DVD burner, burn your files off onto disks. You could put all your files onto flash drives or an external/secondary harddrive. If the files that you wish to save aren't too large, you can email them to yourself, run the system recovery, and download them from your email.

I'm very curious though. What problem are you having with your system that causes HP to tell you to reinstall everything? There are many times when tech support will tell you this simply because they do not have an answer for you or it would take too much time to explain how to fix the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.