I've got a long-time problem with some of the games i've been running on my windows machine.
When i play a game, my screen goes black for a moment, and then shows me an (usually) yellow screen with some light grey vertical stripes on it.
I can't seem to figure out what exactly is causing the problem: switching my graphics card from an Ati card to an NVIDIA seems to increase the stability, but it still crashes.
There's nothing in the windows logs, except for an "unexpected shutdown" because i have to reset it using the power button.
I only run steam when playing a game, with exception of battlefield 3, thanks to battlelog.
This is what i tried so far:
- reinstalling windows
- reinstalling the graphics drivers (using a driver cleaner)
- running a CPU and GPU stress test for a few hours (both at once)
- keeping an eye on my tempratures using a second screen. It's usually around 50-60 degree's during games, and i believe around 80 when doing the dubbel stress test
- a memory test, using windows build in tools
- resetting the BIOS (everything, not just the time. had to do that to fix another bug)
Sometimes it crashes after 5 minutes, and sometimes i can play for days in a row (figure of speech that is, not litteraly :))
It seems to happen more often on some games (left 4 dead 2, minecraft) then others.
The only things i still have to test are my power supply (which i doubt tbh) and my motherboard, but i don't know how to test that one.