Hi there!

So I was at the offices of a bank today doing some work to their webpage, and I needed Internet Connectivity, so the networking guy told me to simply run the following .bat file:

REGEDIT4

; @ECHO OFF
; CLS
; REGEDIT.EXE /S "%~f0"
; EXIT

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
"ProxyHttp1.1"=dword:00000001
"ProxyServer"="10.1.9.237:9090"
"ProxyOverride"="localhost;127.0.0.1;10.0.0.0/8;banesco;*intra.banesco.com;<local>"

Didn´t work, it was time for me to go Home anyways so I left.

To my surprise, when I got home I didn´t have any Internet connection with Google Chrome nor Firefox, and have to use the dreaded IE to post this.

Also, everytime I try to access the Windows LAN options under Internet Options it crashes giving me a rundll32 error.

Anyon care to give me some pointers or command on how to revert what this command made? (I have very limited programming knowledge, I understand cero what these guy´s command did...)

ContactaCall,

The script you were provided configures a proxy though which you can connect to the Internet while at the bank. It's of no use to you at home. It's surprising you weren't provided with a script to disable the configuration.

In order to disable the proxy, it should be sufficient to merely set the ProxyEnable key to zero. You can achieve this by using the 'regedit' utility, navigating to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings'. Double click ProxyEnable and change the value to 0.

Important: Serious problems can arise if the registry is edited incorrectly. If you have any concerns about what you are doing, back up the registry first or create a system restore point. See Microsoft's site for details: Backup up the registry

The following script will also disable the proxy. Just copy the contents into a plain text file and save, change the file extension to '.reg', then double-click to run.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.