Aloha!
When I woke up this morning... Vista would not load. :icon_eek:

1. It automatically goes into the Startup Repair mode, and that has no effect.
2. The System restore does not restore back to a point earlier in time.
3. Within the System Recovery Options, there is no option to open a command prompt.

- I would love to view/copy my files from C: drive to an external hard drive.
- I do not have the original OS disk(s).

Is there a way that I can get Windows to open?
Or, is there a way to open a command prompt and save my files remaining on C:?
Or, is there a way to do this from BIOS?
Or, is there a way to run an OS from a boot disk, yet view/copy my files from C:?

Oh, woe is me. TIA for any insight whatsoever.
Cheers,
~D

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I'll see if I can help you on this, but I could do with additional details.

1. Have you tried to boot-up in safe mode, if so what error message did you get?

2. When using System Restore, again, did you receive an error message when it failed?

3. Do you leave your computer on overnight and is windows update scheduled to update and install updates automatically?

Mahalo!
Thanks for your help.

The answer to retrieving files thought gone with the wind lies with KNOPPIX.

After some research, and helpful tips, I went to:
http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-recovery/geek-to-live--rescue-files-with-a-boot-cd-192982.php

It worked like a charm! :-)

To answer the above questions:
1. Safe mode wouldn't boot unfortunately, and would give no error msg.
2. Same with Sys Restore, just saying that it could not restore.
3. Sometimes, and yes it was set to that.

Basically, I could not get Windows or a cmd prompt to open. I downloaded KNOPPIX and ran it from a boot CD, after config in BIOS to boot from CD.

Amazing!

Fantasdtic, glad you got it sorted, thanks for the update.

Knoppix wins another battle! Huzzah!

wait, so yes, ill do the lifehacker thing but how did you get the actual problem fixed?

My advice to you, young friend, would be to go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ubuntu 10.4 .iso file from a friends computer. burn this to a cd, and insert it into your cd drive and reboot...

next after selecting "Try Ubuntu without any changes to your computer", let it load, and then all you have to do is go to your drive, and rip all the files you want to keep.

you can also install this live cd enviorment if you feel like your tired of windows.

im not quite sure how to download either knoppix or ubuntu. how do i burn them to a cd?
HELP!:)

im not quite sure how to download either knoppix or ubuntu. how do i burn them to a cd?
HELP!:)

Follow the instructions in this linky.

-- If you are having trouble with compy and need support, you would be best off starting a new thread detailing your specific problem.

Cheers :)
PP

You can try a manual fix of the startup.
boot from the Vista install disk.
select country region etc
then instead of re installing
select the repair my computer option
(it may want to run through the painstakingly slow
auto repair, and will probably fail)
When it finishes. don't close the window
select that advanced options from the bottom left corner.
then select command prompt.
When it pops up type:
bootrec /fixboot
it will should you the command completed successfully
now type in:
bootrec /fixmbr
it should now tell you the command completed successfully
now reboot
this method will often work when the auto repair does not

JemB,

A million thanks to you. I recently had an issue with a Windows 7 64-bit (non-laptop Dell Inspiron 580). It was displaying the "Your Computer was unable to restart .... " I was minutes away from reformatting and reinstalling Windows, when I found this and tried it. Whew! Thanks for saving my computer!!

JemB,

A million thanks to you. I recently had an issue with a Windows 7 64-bit (non-laptop Dell Inspiron 580). It was displaying the "Your Computer was unable to restart .... " I was minutes away from reformatting and reinstalling Windows, when I found this and tried it. Whew! Thanks for saving my computer!!

Thanks for the thank you TommyStun70. nice to know I could help.

JemB, thanks a ton. Your solution worked like a charm. windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.