Hi, I tried to open control panel just now and was unable to do so. It gives me a message saying "::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683} System call failed." with an OK button. I click OK and another message pops up that says just "System call failed."
I also get the second message when trying to open any other things located on the right hand side of the start menu (My Documents, My pictures, etc.) I also cannot open the Start menu the the keyboard key as I normally do.
This morning I was able to open the control panel just fine. Any ideas on what may be going on?

I didn't know if I needed to run any scans (hijackthis, etc.) for this type of problem, but I will if needed.
TIA!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Have you installed anything on the system from the time everything was working until now, divers, software, etc...?

If so, you could try to run a system restore and restore the comptuer to a point in time where you are sure that the system was OK.

Nope, nothing has been downloaded or updated today at all. I've just been on the internet.

I did just realize that I now cannot open any icons on my desktop!

Now all of the icons look like blank pieces of paper!! Great!

Can you download and run Malwarebytes to see if there is any malware installed?

Sorry that I just got back to this. I bravely restarted and the issue was resolved. However, the system hasn't been running very fast and killing IE a lot. I just awoke the system and again, the icons are unclickable, but this time (so far) I can open the start menu (control panel, etc.)

Okay, I take that back! I am now unable to open the right side start menu now as well.
technoknol- I downloaded rootkitreveler, but it won't let me open it. It says "System call failed." just like it does for control panel, my computer, etc.

My husband just told me that he restarted it Saturday and it popped up with a black screen that said "System fan failure. Press F2." He said that he pressed F2 and it worked fine.

The fan does sound like it is working on overtime though, any thoughts that this is related??

I just opened Task manager processes and noticed that there was two iexplore.exe *32 open. I ended the one running the least memory and suddenly the icons blinked and were clickable again, but at the same time there was the sound of like a video playing then shut off..
And of course, the fan isn't running as much now.

i think it was a deadlock condition.

i can't understand what's the actually problem. your problem changes in every reply.
incase of rootkit failure, use hiren's boot cd and try those tools. There are many tools available which works in most of cases. Rootkit in this will works without installing.

If still problems exists i can't help you without physically access of your machine, i would like to suggest you go any computer repair shop.

If your computer is having so much problems which seem to be unidentifiable, you can consider a chance of formatting the system and then install or buy a good antivirus for you PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.