I recently replaced my one stick of 2GB RAM for two 2GB RAM sticks for a total of 4GB RAM. I purchased the sticks from a local computer guy who runs a computer store here in town. He said that since they were the same amount and kind of stick that the would be fine. It also said something about inner lacing or something like that but gave me a positive verdict on that as well. Anyway, now my computer will abruptly restart and give me a blue screen with a lot of BS. One thing that will set it off almost immediately is if I try to rip a DVD. Below is the error that I am getting:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   3b
  BCP1: 00000000C0000005
  BCP2: FFFFF8000300FDDF
  BCP3: FFFFF8800729B050
  BCP4: 0000000000000000
  OS Version:   6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product:  768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\080412-25100-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Garrett\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43711-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Swap your old RAM back in, the RAM is bad, end of story, the only other conclusion would be that one of your RAM slots is broken. There are a couple of tests you can run, here I'm going to assume you installed the RAM yourself so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Here's the test (this isn't a proper memory test but I'm also going to assume your not computer proficient), take one of the two RAM sticks out (don't put it on the carpet or you'll fry the stick with static, place it on a table somewhere), then do whatever it is which normally gives you a BSOD(Blue Screen Of Death), keep doing whatever it is which normally gives you a BSOD for about five miniutes, then take the stick you just tested and place in in the other slot and repeat, them swich that stick for the other new stick, repeat what you did with the first stick testing both slots.

If the stick fails in only one slot the slot is broken, if the RAM fails in both slots it's the RAM.

A third albiet FAR less likely possiblility is that your DVD drive has bad drivers or something simmilar, but if you could rip DVD's with the old RAM then it is not possible.

Personally I'd just take the RAM back to the store and tell them it BSOD'd your PC and exchange the broken RAM for the same brand/type etc of RAM and test again, if the RAM still fails then it's either: the RAM company are EXTREMELY shoddy (very unlikely) or your motherboard (the big board which every component is connected to) is somehow broken.

Thanks. Yes I did indeed put the RAM in myself. Don't know how proficient I am but I do know what a motherboard is, what it looks like, & where to find it.

Take it into the computer shop. If they can't get it to work properly, ask for your $$ back.

Check system specs. for max memory AND configuration. Does old memory still work?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.