After formatting my PC, I noticed that each time I shut down my PC it is installing update. No matter how many times I shut it down in a day it just happens. The thing is that it is only installing 1 of 1 all the time.
Normally, the installing of update would happened once in 2 or 3 weeks.

I am using a lap top with Windows 7 and it does not do this.

So I hope someone can help me on this one. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I had the same problem with my PC, then i just went to control panel, and disabled the updates.Hope it can help you.

IMHO it's not a good idea to disable the updates as these are frequently intended to fix security issues. What do you mean you recently 'formatted' the PC? Do you mean you reinstalled the OS? If that is the case, then there are possibly around 300 updates you have to go through before updating will stop (although it would be unusual for this to happen one at a time). Another possibility is that this is the same update and your machine is rejecting it again and again for some reason. Note the number of the update and google it, windows may have a fix for this or at least an explanation.

Do you mean formatted your hard drive and then reinstalled windows 7? If so, have you checked if all important and non-important updates are classed as installed?

• To get details on the installation being made, open windows updater and see what items are listed there. After restart/ 'installation' - See if that same item is there still, if so that means your machine is rejecting it for X, Y or Z. - As CollieBob said, google the installtion number if you need a fix for the problem.

If it is a different update, then either you can disable your updates (Which I wouldn't advise) or just put up with this and eventually it will stop.

Updates are published by Microsoft on a monthly basis (second Tuesday over every month). If you have an update that seems to be re-applying every time you shut down, that update is not installing properly. Instead of shutting down the computer and letting the update apply automatically, go to the control panel, windows update and try to install the update manually. See if it generates an error. If it does, write down the error so that more information can be obtained for the reason why the update is failing.

Disabling Windows Update is not a fix, and is not recommended.

One of the comments above could be correct about the update not being installed correctly. Updates that are pending installation are saved in the folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution. As soon as you restart your computer, it takes the files there and installs the updates. You can actually delete the contents of that particular folder and then re-download the updates. This ensures that you have a fresh copy of the updates to be installed.

If this still doesnt' work, then it is possible that the problem is with Windows Updater itself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.