Hello to all,

I am working on a spreadsheet/database for my company to track our service calls for the equipment we sell. There are a total of three of us that travel to different locations. I have helped create a database that allows a user to enter information after completeing a service call. However, the interface is awesome and the company wants to use it as a service report as well. Problem is that service reports travel with the technician while the database is hosted on the server.

Long story short, is there a way that I can make this file available locally to the technician in the field by making it an offline file and then when they return and connect to the server back at the office, the server copy and the local technician copy sync to update changes? Also, a VPN is out of the question...for now.

Program: Microsoft Office Excel 2007

If more information is needed, just let me know and thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There the basic route of Object Linking and Embedding. (OLE)

Are the likes of Google Drive, Dropbox, etc, ruled out?

Or, are you looking for something like scripting

You can use Google Drive, Sheets. Provide access to the team members, then anyone of them will be able to update the spreadsheet in real time.

@BigPaw, I will take a look at the OLE and see what it can do. @JorgeMHowever, these guys are not going to want to use a third party to host the file. Although there isn't any classified information contained in the file.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.