I cannot uninstall programs in the Add/Remove Programs window of Control Panel -- the Change/Remove line or tab does not appear whenever I highlight a program I want to uninstall. Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do you have administrator privileges.

Hi - I have a similar problem. I want to remove two programs - iCloud and Driver Detective. If I click on them in Add/Remove, the Install tab does not show up. It does show up for other programs that I was able to successfully uninstall. I am running Windows 7. I tried under my own login and under the Administrator login - same story. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes, I have administrator privileges.

sometimes this can be the results of a virus , for me i use ccleaner program . tool section for uninstall some program that add and remove will not ,other use Revo uninstaller or other software
and i know there is likely a fix for this ans i fixed it years ago , but i cant remember what it was

luis, CP Add/Remove reads the registry key entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
If an application is listed there [a key entry] with a DisplayName value then it will appear in A/R Pgms. If the key contains a value Uninstallstring then the Uninstall tab will appear alongside in A/R Pgms. If the actual uninstaller is represented and working and has uninstall info available if required, then the app will uninstall.
Sounds like your Uninstall key is missing/damaged, else CP is damaged [appwiz.cpl]. Try running:
regsvr32 appwiz.cpl -in a cmd window.
If that does not work then M$ has a Fixit for CP. You would G this... xp control panel fixit add/remove and find this... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668

Thanks again, Gerbil. I used Fixit and was able to uninstall some programs, but from Fixit and not from the Control Panel Install/Remove App. But using Fixit, I can uninstall one program at a time only. After one uninstallation, I have to run Fixit again to uninstall the next.

I thought I'd try system restore and was then able to have the Control Panel Install/Remove App. running as before.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.