Hi, and in advance, thank you!

I have an old PC which worked fine as a DVD player before I moved house.

I have now set it up and it is replacing the text with (at best) random characters.

I am able to get to the options for running:

Safe mode
(possibly another safe mode option - networking?)
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known configurtaion

Start Normally

When I tried last known configuration it suggested I needed Kernel Debugging and possibly stated that a driver was missing.

I cannot be certain as the text is so corrupt it makes: 'safe mode' look like: 'Sq f mO4~'

This has meant I have been unable to use any of the start up menus for fear of changing an option unintentionally!

I have a numbewr of Dell Windows installation disks (though not sure if they'll work on the Compaq) and also an abunto disk - none of which have had any positive effect, though I do get different strings of random text depending on which disk I put in.

I have visited here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00188897&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=409973&softwareitem=pv-19952-2&sw_lang=

...this seems to be the right thing, though I am wary of opening the .exe file on the machine I downloaded it on to as it is not the malfunctioning machine; I don't want the to run the .exe and find it has changed anything on my working pc!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Treadiculous

You most likely have either a bad stick of ram or your graphics card is beginning to fail. The symptoms you describe are almost always caused by one or the other.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.