I am having problems with numerous unresponsive programs including Microsoft Word, WMPlayer, Web Browers, etc. Never had this before, but now it has been going on for a couple of months. Going into Resource Monitor, I can see the child causing the problem, and I suppose I can stop the child process, but what do I do to stop thisfrom continuing? Hopeing someone will be my SuperMan.
Thanks,

SunWay.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi there,

What child process is causing the problem? Can you determine the parent? If so, you may be able to kill the parent process that is originally starting this child process.

Let me give an example. I was helping someone whose Norton Antivirus was really acting up and doing just what you are seeing. I ended up uninstalling Norton and installing another anti-virus and the problem was fixed. Reinsalling Norton may have fixed this problem as well. The key was stopping Norton, the parent, which was causing the slownewss.

Hello, sorry to take so long getting back. Here are there instances: Hope you can determine something.

Wmplayer.exe (PID: 3516) Thread: 4304
    Wmplayer.exe (PID: 3516) Thread: 6412

WINWORD.EXE (PID: 8012) Thread: 5492
    WINWORD.EXE (PID: 8012) Thread: 7884
WINWORD.EXE (PID: 8012) Thread: 7604
    splwow64.exe(PID: 8012) Thread: 3628

msmoney.exe (PID: 4704) Thread: 4464
    msmoney.exe (PID: 4704) Thread: 6540
        msmoney.exe (PID: 4704) Thread: 6976

Hello, Anyone out there?

What are you trying to say? Are these processes of programs that you are trying to run, and which are hanging, or processes that just run non-stop in TM, and won't quit even if you are not using their programs?

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what more info you need. I am having trouble with multiple applications and browsers hanging, waiting for a child process to complete. I have given a few examples above in another post. I am looking in Resource Monitor and that is where I am getting the wait chain info. Dom246 suggested it may be due to antivirus software but I have not changed anything and there were no problems previously with the same anti virus program. For instance, when I try to use Word, it hangs and does nothing while waiting for a child process to complete. That example is shown above in the other post. I don't even go into TM at all unless I need to stop a process.This was never a problem before. Well, there you go. Hope it helps.

Thanks again for your time,

Larry/SunRunner

oh well. No interest.

This will be of no help to you at the moment, but perhaps it will down the road. I would suggest doing a fresh install of Windows in a dedicated partition (I split 60 gig for windows and the rest for files). Install and configure all of your usual applicatiions, anti virus, etc. Install all Windows updates. Then run the following command in a DOS shell opened as Administrator

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded

This could take up to a half hour to run so don't freak. What this does is remove all Windows UNDO files that were created when the service pack updates were installed. It will free up a considerable amount of disk space. Once it completes, run ccleaner to remove all temporary files.

Now download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect. This is a disk imaging program. Use it to create a full image of your Windows partition. Copy this image to an external device if you have one available. If not then just leave the image on your D drive.

Eventually your system will start to misbehave just like it is doing now. When that happens all you have to do is restore the image to C: and apply any updates that were released since you made the image. After you have updated you can make a new image to replace the original.

I've operated this way for years. Restoring an image is always easier than taking a day or more to rebuild a system from scratch.

I'm afraid you've caught me at a bad time... I'm getting pretty much over computers and their foibles, and investigating them. But anyway.... I will need to see what your system is running; without that information I'm staring at a blank wall, or a maze with many paths... something. This pgm is non-disruptive in the mode you shall run it:
==Download OTL from http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe to your Desktop.

• Double click on the icon to start the application.
  • Press Scan All Users, Minimal Output, Standard Registry ALL, leave other sections as they are.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%*.exe
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Press Run Scan.
    The scan will take maybe 5 minutes; 2 notepads will present [saved to the place from where you ran OTL.exe] - please post both.

Tiny point - no way would two processes share the same PID... a typing error:
WINWORD.EXE (PID: 8012) Thread: 7604
splwow64.exe(PID: 8012) Thread: 3628

Stupid, dumb code detector.

Hello, Thanks for the last two responses. I have just done a reinstall of windows (actually went the upgrade route). Just did this the momment before I saw the responses here. At the moment, I have not seen any issues as of yet. I am going to monitor things and if it acts up again, I will try these responses. If thier are no occurances, I will post that result here. Wish me luck. I'll keep you all imformed.

Thank,

SunRunner.

Hello again Kids,
Just wanted it to be known that by upgrading my Win 7 to Win 7 took care of my wait chain problems. I didn't do complete clean reinstall...just used the upgrade option which must have corrected what I suppose was some corrupted files.

Thanks for everyones replies. I hope this may help someone else.

Thanks again,

SunRunner.

Cool... good luck with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.