If I buy a new motherboard will I be able to use my Intel processor that I have now on it?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Only if you buy a motherboard to suit that processor. Do you know what processor you have?

If I buy a new motherboard will I be able to use my Intel processor that I have now on it?

Yeah, if you get a board with the same socket.

Hi,
If you are like me, you won't update your motherboard unless you have to and then the motherboard and processor will be out of date and you will have a lot of trouble finding an "old stock" motherboard to support your current processor.
As crunchie said, "If you know what processor you have" you can look for a board. If you can not find one in the larger stores, look in the smaller sale/repair shops.
If you have to update your processor, you may also have to update your memory and PSU as they may not work on the newer boards. It all depends on how old your current setup is.

Hi,
If you are like me, you won't update your motherboard unless you have to and then the motherboard and processor will be out of date and you will have a lot of trouble finding an "old stock" motherboard to support your current processor.
As crunchie said, "If you know what processor you have" you can look for a board. If you can not find one in the larger stores, look in the smaller sale/repair shops.
If you have to update your processor, you may also have to update your memory and PSU as they may not work on the newer boards. It all depends on how old your current setup is.

Ok the only reason I am updating my motherboard is because I use my computer for gaming, and I wanted an SLI motherboard, and my motherboard only supports 3.5 GB of RAM, even on 64-bit. Could I use an Intel Pentium D on a motherboard that supports an Intel Core 2 Duo? Pentium D has 2 cores.

Could I use an Intel Pentium D on a motherboard that supports an Intel Core 2 Duo

Probably (Note: that does not mean yes). they are both Socket 775. Only issue i can forsee is heat. There are many models of the D. Some are low-end Core2s which have been rebranded, and some are essentially dual-core versions of the pentium 4. These are entirely different beasts. The latter eats significant amounts of power and gives off lots of heat.

Anyway, why do you want to downgrade? The D is obsolete compared to the Core2Duo. Bear in mind that the Pentium D and the Pentium Dual-Core are not the same. The former uses the NetBurst architechture and is based on the P4 Prescott whereas the latter is based on the Core2Duo's more efficient architechture.

my motherboard only supports 3.5 GB of RAM, even on 64-bit

Doesnt sound right, my intel board from ~2005 supports 8gb, and that only supports the pentium 4, i would have thaught that newer models would support equally high amounts.

Maybe you should be giving us some of your system specifications so we are not guessing.

Download SIW, Belarc or similar system info program so you can tell the forum what you currently have so they can give you proper advice. Also, remember that you will likely need your Vista or Windows 7 system disk as Windows many times will not restart after you change motherboards and will need to be "repaired". This does not mean any loss of programs or data in most cases, though it is advisable to make sure you have back-ups of everything.

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0FJ030
Serial Number ..CN7082165LG0C4.

North Bridge Intel i945P Revision 00
South Bridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) Revision 00

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 6 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Yes you can use it.

Be VERY careful about replacing a motherboard in a Dell with a newer model as most Dell motherboards are not standard motherboards and you may be unable to re-hook up front panel connectors, usb connectors, etc. Only place for you to go would be Dell, and that will cost you! While Dell makes fairly decent goods, they are NON-STANDARD! Your processor is not a dual core processor. I would buy a new machine if I were you - try a machine with an Athlon quad core processor and SLI - you'll have better luck and better performance.

Yep, got to agree with that one. Ive got 2 dells, a 5150 and an e520. (2005 and 2007 i think). Neither of the dells have pin-headers on the mobo for the power switch and front panel, using an ide-style ribbon cable instead. Meaning they will only work with dell cases.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.