I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

Increase BROADBAND

This is for broad band connections, though it might work for dial up.

• Make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator".
  • Start->Run->type gpedit.msc
  • Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
  • Expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
  • Expand the "Network Branch".
  • Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window.
  • In right window double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
  • On setting tab check the "Enabled" item.
  • Where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0.

Effect is immediate on some systems, some need to re-boot. This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, programs can request up to 20% of the bandwidth be reserved for them, even with QoS disabled.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

did this one on windows xp pro, and i didn't have to re-boot! thanx for the info.

Nice. But I believe its easier to remove the QOS protocol from the network stack when installing XP.

Heya
I have 2 pc here networked thru my adsl modem/router.
On the pc running XP Pro I was able to run "gpedit.msc" and make the changes.
On the pc running Xp Home "gpedit.msc" cannot be found .

Any suggestions please ?

I cant remember how I stumbled onto this forum but I am enjoying reading it and hope to be able to contribute.

Regards

~Sam~

Unless you can find the registry key it edits, it appears that you can only do this in XP Pro:

What is the alternative to GPEDIT.MSC for Windows XP Home edition? QUESTION POSED ON: 15 FEB 2004
QUESTION ANSWERED BY: Bernie Klinder GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the took is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is making registry entries. So, the best alternative is to edit the registry using Regedit. Be aware that editing the registry incorrectly can make your system unbootable or cause other issues, so proceed carefully before diving in!

There's a 'Tech TV' article on the QoS setting, that's at least two years old. Because there are a variety of reports on if it is good or bad, needed or not, and what the ideal setting should be, what they did was try them all.
In a nutshell, it just doesn't matter. Pretty much any setting gave the same results. Not exactly sure how it works, but I'm under the impression only software designed to use it will enable the QoS and there is almost nothing out there that will activate it.

Set it to whatever you like, doesn't matter.

There's only a couple of registry tweaks you can do for this, depends on computer type, and the all important ISP (eg. adsl & cable have differing tweaks).

Lots of articles telling you what to do, many are wrong. I find the link below to be the best. Not only do you get unbiased info, but he says why to do it, as well as how.
http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

there are two differences between home and pro

home does not have the IIS

home does not have gpedit

i shall try this tweak, thanks for sharing

Interesting.......

Ill tell my friend about this,he is on Dialup but it might improve things for him (XP)

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Its neccessary to remove QoS Packet Scheduler ?

Always uninstall QoS Packet Scheduler!

This is another stupid idea developed by Microsoft for a problem nobody has!!

What it does is limit your bandwidth of your internet connection....Say you're downloading a 100 Meg file from another computer on your LAN,with QoS installed it,will take 20% longer to download that file. I reckon that takes alot of resources and if removed would help things greatly!

http://www.msfn.org/board/ipb_seo.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fscid%3Dkb%3BEN-US%3Bq316666

My friend tried this but i dont think he has the file,it says "Unknown command" when he tries it... (Thats what he told me (He has XP home))

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.