i've been running win98 for way too long now and i finally got around to getting a copy of win2k pro. i'm having a problem installing it. i tried both the clean install and the upgrade. both methods get me to the same point in the install before having problems.

after the install restarts my comp for the first time, i get past the screen to access the bios settings and then where the win98 screen usually is, i get a black screen and it doesn't go any further than that. i asked a tech friend of mine and he said that i should install it by booting the comp with the cd in the drive. the problem is, i don't get an option to boot from a cd. i looked at my bios settings and it says that my cdrom drive is first in line to boot from, so i don't understand why it wouldn't load from the cd.

any suggestions?

thanks,
jason

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The other thing to do would be to get a Win98 boot disk floppy. This will format the HD for you, then put the W2K disk in & install.

i've been running win98 for way too long now and i finally got around to getting a copy of win2k pro. i'm having a problem installing it after the install restarts my comp for the first time, i get past the screen to access the bios settings and then where the win98 screen usually is, i get a black screen and it doesn't go any further than that.

Drivers, drivers, drivers. It's likely that something on your machine is newer than the drivers supplied with Win2K, possibly your video card. I don't have a quick fix for you, but there are ways of getting around this.

Have you tried restarting in Safe Mode?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.