(I am not sure if this is the correct area for this thread - Admin/Mods, please more if necessary. Thank you.)

Hello.

I write a lot of code. I save many back-ups, that is, current versions of the code in case I need to roll-back. This can be quite tedious and time-consuming.

I am looking for a code editor that supports PHP (HTML & Ruby woud be a plus) and saves unique versions of the code automatically, for example, every 5-minutes.

Example:
* I code and save a file named index1.php
* 5-minutes later, a new, unique version is saved automatically, in this case, index2.php
* 5-minutes later, index3.php is created automatically

Does anyone know of such software for achieving this?

Might it be possible to create a Ruby script to modify an editor (Not even sure where to begin with that LOL)?

Thank you in advance.
Matthew

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I write a lot of code. I save many back-ups, that is, current versions of the code in case I need to roll-back. This can be quite tedious and time-consuming.

Wouldn't it make more sense to connect to a CVS (tfs, git, svn) and auto commit every 5 minutes, instead of creating all those files? Even then, I'm wondering why you need such a high save interval.

I just replied to you and... my reply disappeared... again!

Take a look at Editrocket. Runs on windows, Linux or MAC and supports backups of code as well as HTML, CSS, Perl, PHP, SQL, Python, and many more. Price was not bad at $49.95 and the license is good for all three versions and it has the same look an feel in all three which helps if you have Windows on one system and Linux on another.

http://www.editrocket.com/

From their page on setting up code backups:

EditRocket gives users the ability to automatically backup files that are being edited any time the file is saved. This can be used to create a history of changes to a file.

To enable file backups, launch the EditRocket preferences window, and select the "Backups" tab. Select the "Backup on Save" checkbox, and enter the maximum number of backups to keep.

To save backups in a specific directory, browse to a location in the "Backup Directory" field. If there is a value in this field, all backups will be saved to that directory. If there is no value, backups will be saved to the directory where the file that is being edited is located.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.