Hi there.. this is my first *need help* post.

First, actually i already read a thread like this somewhere in this forum.. but the case in that thread was caused by another thing (problem comes from running a specific program), and my problem is another case.

Ok, this not happens to me.. actually it's happen in my friend's laptop. He has a sattelite pro Toshiba laptop, running winXP pro OS. The problem arrived when he tries to change his username account. He change the former name account into something like this " -_- lIl -_-" (weird boy, isn't he.. :confused: ) And when the next time he rebooted the laptop, the welcome/login screen appears with no account to choose or click!!

When he asked for help, I tried to reboot the system in safe mode.. but i couldn't find any Admin account.. I wonder, why :?:

I might try to solve this by getting all the usernames and passwords hash using knoppix, and crack the password in lc5.. but thats not the one i preffer as a solution. Is there any one in this forum know how to solve this problem manually under windows?

=======
p.s: by the time i post this thread, my friend's already re-install the laptop with a new fresh install (recovery comes from the cd he got when he buy the toshiba.. all datas couldn't be back-up)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

p.s: by the time i post this thread, my friend's already re-install the laptop with a new fresh install (recovery comes from the cd he got when he buy the toshiba.. all datas couldn't be back-up)

Those recovery cd's pretty much suck. Try a reformat, but he'll need the original xp disc and all the original drivers and software.

you should have done control- alt - delete and gone to the NT style login screen then typed in his original credentials

Those recovery cd's pretty much suck. Try a reformat, but he'll need the original xp disc and all the original drivers and software.

Yup, i'd agree w/ you.. I also will suggest the same thing (reformat) instead of fresh installation.. the problem is the xp installation files and other programs are on that recov cd.. :sad:

And for my new senior friend, j_bennet:

you should have done control- alt - delete and gone to the NT style login screen then typed in his original credentials

Thanks for replying :) , actually yes i did it too before using safe mode.. but it didn't work.. I ordered my friend to enter that new username and password in this NT syle screen.. and nothing happened. Is it probably caused by some pets (virus, trojan, spyware, etc)???

sometimes it can happen if you dont shut down right
my registry got broken before and it had the cheek to tel me that I was not an admin

I c james, that gotta be the main cause.. 'cos my friend recently chatted on ym and he got his laptop boot-attacked..

what is ym?
and what do you mean by boot attacked?

sorry, i mean y!m.. it's yahoo! messenger..
and about the boot, it's boot codes attack that makes your system hangs

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.