I've had my computer for a while, but a few months ago, apparantly for no reason, whenever i go to windows update and click "scan now" it always stays at 0%. I can leave it running for hours but it will not move. It works perfectly on all other sites on the internet but that one. Wuts up?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I've had my computer for a while, but a few months ago, apparantly for no reason, whenever i go to windows update and click "scan now" it always stays at 0%. I can leave it running for hours but it will not move. It works perfectly on all other sites on the internet but that one.

Your problem is most likely a simple one. Somewhere on your machine is a directory called WUTemp or similar -- there may be other directories that begin with "wu," as well. I can't remember if it's hidden or not (I don't have it on my system right now). If you don't see it, open any folder window, go to the menu Tools->Folder Options->View and check Show hidden files and folders. Once you find it, delete it. Most likely, it's one of those directories that are blocking your access. It's worked for me more than once.

Another possibility is that ActiveX is disabled or corrupted, though that usually will generate an error message.

I deleted the WUTemp folder in C:\
It was not hidden, it didn't help though it still stays at 0%

Open the \windows\system32 folder. Find CatRoot2 folder and right click on it, and select RENAME. Change the name to CR2OLD. Make sure that you hit ENTER, to create the changes. Close this Window, and try the Update again. If it doesn't work,
Search your computer for all instances of WUtemp files. Delete all instances of WUtemp files. Try Windows Update again.

The files that you deleted will be re-generated again, when you go to updates, and if it works. If not, you may have to go to MS help, using the email version, and try to get answers from them.
Hope this helps.

ONEderer

is wutemp some kind of extension, because when i search for "wutemp" i get no results. After deleting the wutemp folder and changing the name of that folder, it still stays at 0%. Thanks for trying though I appreciate it.

WUtemp is the folder where windows update downloads files needed for update before installing it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.