Member Avatar for Moeslock

Hi, I can't to find a definate answer or am not reading the results correctly, I am trying to find out if a compaq SR5710Y computer with vista home premium is 64 or 32 bit system, this may be a silly question but here it is. Thanks

Moe

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Interesting how often this question crops up. Go to this page... you can either follow the instructions or wait a few seconds and the page will tell you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

I do not have the computer here, that's why I saked if you could tell from the model number.

Moe

It is capable of running 32 or 64 bit op-systems; I cannot kno what you have installed.

Thank you, here's my problem, I am getting this computer for free but there is a problem with it, the hard drive has been wiped and there is no disk for it, the product key is on a sticker on the side of it so if I get a vista installation disk will I be able to restore ffrom that.

-If you use a Retail installation disk, there should be no problem whether your Product ID is OEM or Retail.
-Some OEM Product Ids have the letters OEM as part of the ID - in this case an OEM installation disk very likely must match your sticker OEM issuer eg HP, Acer.
-Some OEM Product Ids do not have OEM in the code even though OEM or a manufacturer is mentioned on the sticker - you still likely must use a matching OEM disk... but results vary because some OEM disks are pretty much retail copies, differing only in the additional software and driver softwares added as separate files.
Obtaining a retail disk, or a retail upgrade disk will enable you to install no matter what.
There must be millions of unwanted retail Vista Product Ids out there, for free.

And I'll just rewrite that to clear my confusion of terms.... because you won't see a Product ID if your Product Key is not accepted - you will not get an activation code.
-In the case of Vista, if you use any Vista retail installation disk there should be no problem whether your license (Product Key) is OEM or Retail.
-With some OEM Product Keys the OEM installation disk very likely must match your sticker OEM issuer eg HP, Acer.
-And some OEM Product Keys may work with a non-matching OEM disk... results vary because some OEM disks are pretty much retail copies, differing only in the additional software and driver softwares added as separate files, but your resulting Product Id will contain the letters -OEM-.
Obtaining a retail disk, or a retail upgrade disk will enable you to install no matter what.

Thank you or the information, I want to check the computer out before I do anything, should have it in a couple of days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.