The computer detects the DVD rom and reads the installation disk (I assume it reads it because the disk spins) The problem is the installation will not autoplay.
The only thing I have thought of is to take out the hard drive of my old computer and install it on the new one, so the XP would load. Then I would load my new XP X64. But I dont know if that would even work

Any help would be wonderful. :o

I found this one some other site, but dont understand:
[
Intel 925XE configuration using the Asus P5AD2-E Premium
motherboard:
• A SATA driver disk is not needed to load the OS in single disk
SATA mode. However, the ACPI/ATK10 driver is not installed
and is not available from Asus at this time. The ACPI/ATK10
driver is properly loaded if an IDE drive is used for OS
installation.
• There is no driver for the wireless LAN.
• The Intel Matrix RAID function works properly.
]

I dont know if it would help but the system is:
Pentium D 930 -- Maybe close enough to the 925XE to have the same problem
Asus P5WD2-E Premium
MSI Radeon X1900 XTX
Corsair 2Gb @ 667
western digital WD2500KS
hyper Type-R 580 watt

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The computer detects the DVD rom and reads the installation disk (I assume it reads it because the disk spins) The problem is the installation will not autoplay.

just because it spins doesn't mean its reading the disk .,does the bios detect the dvd rom is bios set to boot to dvd rom first .

The only thing I have thought of is to take out the hard drive of my old computer and install it on the new one, so the XP would load. Then I would load my new XP X64. But I dont know if that would even work

nope !

The DVD is 1st on the boot sequence and the Bios has detected all the hardware

have you tried the disk in another computer to make sure it is ok

Thanks I'll try an older verison of XP, but then would I be able to delete it?

have you tried the disk in another computer to make sure it is ok

well we don't use the term delete when we refer to removing an OS from the computer ,you will need to reformat with the new to rid the old eventually 1,if you can try booting you new computer to any other version of windows try it .have you tried your new xp 64 cd in another computer to make sure it is working ,all you need to do it put it in a computer that is all ready booted to its windows and see if it auto pops up ,if it does just exit the cd .don't try to install it on the other computer .
I still thinks you problems are releated to improper setup of the drives !the way ther are plugged into the motherboard ,something is wrong!!

ree reading you first post ,

are you being aked to hit any key to boot from cd ,when the computer first bootup

I had been asked hit b or B ,but it didn't do that after set the DVD to the 1st device in the boot sequence. To test the disk I put the cd in my computer and it gave me the message "this version of windows cannot be installed on this machine" becuase it's a 32 bit processor, but that still means the disk works. I explored the contents and it seemed ok.
As for the set-up The DVD is the only IDE device I have, the jumper is set on master, and the cable only fits one way. I'm not plugged into the HDD IDE or the Floppy.

The other weird thing is the drive bay wont open once I get past Asus bios logo. And after I changed the boot sequence I cant seem to get back into the bios options.

I'm sorry to be an annoying noob, but why can't I install my old hard drive on the new computer and then upgrade XP to the new hard drive?
Would it load like my old computer, or would there be confusion in the drivers

I forgot to say earlier that I tried a 2002 windows XP home edition with the same results.

OK I feel stupid I had it plugged into the wrong IDE, it was in the hard drive one I guess I just didnt see the correct one when i install plugging into hard drive IDE port. caperjack, I'm grateful and sorry to you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.