I still have one computer that has Win98 OS. The video card is a Diamond Viper V550. When I open the display properties box then click on the " advanced " tab, it opens another box called " Diamond Viper for Windows 98 Properties Box ". Then clicking on the " Diamond 3-D performance " tab it prompts me with a box that says " to take advantage of the Diamond 3-D settings page - please upgrade to Microsoft's DirectX 6 ".

I haven't used the 3-D tests page for a long time but it used to work OK. Not sure what happened there.

What is the proper way to download and install DirectX 6 ?

Do I need to download and install the DirectX end user runtime shown on the Microsoft DirectX website first ?

I just wanted someones opinion on this first before I do this as I don't want to screw something up :sad: I would like to get one more years use out of this computer :)

Thanks;
Dougie

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Im pretty sure you cant get directx 6 anymore it is up to like 9 or something now. So if you can find it on the internet just uninstall whatever directx you have now and then install directx 6, but that wont support most new anything and youll probably need to get 9. Not sure about compatability with win 98.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

Where do I look to see what version of DirectX I have now?

What is the best way to un-install the old one?

Dougie

if you do have directx installed you should be able to goto start>run and type dxdiag in the text area and that will run and tell you. You dont need to uninstall the old one just install over it with the newer version.

if you do have directx installed you should be able to goto start>run and type dxdiag in the text area and that will run and tell you. You dont need to uninstall the old one just install over it with the newer version.

Thanks mikeandike :)

I did look at the dxdiag as you suggested and it seem that I have DirectX version 9 after all. Maybe v9 isn't compatable with Win98?? I should dig out the original CD that came with my Diamond Viper video card as it would probably contain DirectX 6 on it.

I'm also wondering about the old driver I have installed for this video card? The driver listed that is installed is v. 4.10.0001.0239 , date is 10/21/98. Obviously the original one that came with the card :)

I'm wondering if there is a better driver still available on the internet as this is an OLD card now :(

Dougie

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.