I am trying to install an XPpro on my PowerEdge server, I am aware that this is not supported by Dell but I get the feel on diffrent forums that this has been done. There are a couple of obsticels along the way and I´ve gone 3/4 of the way so far ;) (I hope)
My current problem is that I´ve managed to install XP but it won´t run,PC reboots on the splash screen, safe mode does the same.

Any ideas or hints well appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I've had workstation OS running on Servers and Server Os running on workstations, and it should run without a problem once the set up is done.

My initial thought would be a SCSI / RAID driver problem on setup. Although if you have installed XP I imagine you have already overcome this problem. These need to be installed prior to the install, pressing F8 at the start of the set up.

I would be inclined to suggest this as the problem, because the rest should run as a standard workstation install.

Other than some other hardware conflict i'm out of ideas, and its a clean format in NTFS I'm out of ideas, sry.

I have solved the problem, and here is the info for the rest of the world to know :cheesy:
The problem is XP does not know the RAID hardware at the start of the installation, and can not detect any HDD

Step1: Use the setup disc that comes with the PC to setup the RAID
Step2: When it reaches the OS setup step you can only choose server OS - Reboot the PC and use the windowsXP CD
Step3: When XP starts installing you have a few seconds to press F6, do so to install third party RAID drivers
Step4: load the appropriate drivers of a floppy, I had PERC 4e/Si , and choose the windows 2000 option (windows 2003 option sent my PC in continiuous reboot after the XP installation)
Step5: Follow normal XP installation

And Tadaaaa !!!! you have XP running on your PE1850 server :D

Hello,

The driver disk thing that you describe also happens when placing Win 2000 on older SCSI drives when booting up via floppy.

Another example of getting all of the drivers together before trying to re-build a workstation or server. I am glad that you found your answers though.

Christian

Oskare,

I am also trying to install XP on a PE 1850...... Sorry to be dull but I am trying to get the drivers from the Dell site and like most things Dell it is a minefield..... Which drivers did you use? Was it Win 2000 - PERC 4e/Si? I am trying to find the download that I can put on a floppy but all the DEll site seems to have is updaters...... Did you use the firmware option?

I am running it on a standard PE1850 without raid.

If you can point me in the right direction (poss send me a link or a file name for the download) it would be much appreciated ;)

Yepp used the Win2000 perc 4e/Si, the win 2003 caused the PC to reboot constantly.
managed to get the drivers off a link in a forum, will see what I can do for you and post the link or get the drivers too you somehow

You have a the Raid controllers right? ...just not using the Raid funcunality?
Are you getting the error of WinXP can´t find any hard disks?

Thats the second time I've said F8, obviously I'm getting it confused for the boot key on Dell systems and the key to agree to MS blurb at the start of installs

I am trying to install an XPpro on my PowerEdge server, I am aware that this is not supported by Dell but I get the feel on diffrent forums that this has been done. There are a couple of obsticels along the way and I´ve gone 3/4 of the way so far ;) (I hope)
My current problem is that I´ve managed to install XP but it won´t run,PC reboots on the splash screen, safe mode does the same.

Any ideas or hints well appreciated!

Guys, If you have a Dell PowerEdge PE1850, and you are installing Windows XP on it, use a Windows XP SP2 CD!!! Otherwise you will get a pci.sys blue screen each time, and it will frustrate you to no end. Also, yes, download the win2000 driver for your perc raid :)
Email me, vboulytchev@coinfotech.com.

I told a client that just needed to run a small piece of software on a server class machine, that xp would run, without checking with dell and seeing if they support xp on server class machines. aparently, my skills are in the unix world. will not make that mistake again, but.. hey, this winblows thing is running :))))))

problem here is not microsoft / unix... its hardware staying ahead. you will always have problems like this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.