Hi
what could be the cause that Edge most frequently is seen asthe standard app for PDF files?

I've changed it in the standard app settings.
I've changed in the explorer menu; r.click → open with... → choose other app → click open always with chosen app
Also made changes in the registry.
Even uninstalled EDGE, but even then edge becomes the standard and the progress hangs and is hard to end.

But this annoying behaviour is still there.

thx for helping me out
grt Frank

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I have to ask for clarification. So you're telling me that from Windows File Explorer you double click on a PDF and Edge opens?

That is correct, and very annoying. Happens very often. Like every 5 to 10 opening a PDF file.
Edge becomes the standard app

OK, let's check something else. Do you use a Microsoft EMAIL LOGIN?

I purposed don't use that because reasons.

No, I do not use that for my login.
But to be sure, how can I check that?

commented: ftype gives these results +2

The. I'll check next week, when i am back from poland

ftype gives these results; filtered on acro, pdg and edge

Access.ShortCut.Macro.1="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE" /NOSTARTUP /SHELLSYSTEM [ShellOpenMacro "%1"]
acrobat="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" /u "%1"
AcroDist="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\AcroDist.exe" "%1"
AcroDistJobOptions="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\acrodist.exe" /E "%1"
AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings.1="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.Document="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.Document.7="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.FDFDoc="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.JDFJobDef.1="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.pdfxml.1="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.RMFFile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.XDPDoc="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
AcroExch.XFDFDoc="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
BPDXFileType="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
Excel.AddInMacroEnabled="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
Excel.Macrosheet="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
Excel.SheetBinaryMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
Excel.SheetMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
Excel.TemplateMacroEnabled="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
GIMP2.pdf="C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe" "%1"
LiveCycleDesigner.Document="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Designer 9.0\FormDesigner.exe" "%1"
LiveCycleDesigner.tds="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Designer 9.0\FormDesigner.exe" "%1"
MSEdgeHTM="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --single-argument %1
MSEdgeMHT="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --single-argument %1
MSEdgePDF="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --single-argument %1
PDXFileType="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
PowerPoint.ShowMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE" "%1" /ou "%u"
PowerPoint.SlideMacroEnabled.12=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE "%1" /ou "%u"
PowerPoint.SlideShowMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE" /s "%1" /ou "%u"
PowerPoint.TemplateMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE" "%1" /ou "%u"
Word.DocumentMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" /n "%1" /o "%u"
Word.TemplateMacroEnabled.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" /n "%1" /o "%u"

these are the assoc results; filterd on pdf, acro and edge(0)

.acrobatsecuritysettings=AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings
.api=AcroExch.Plugin
.deu=AcroExch.Lang
.fdf=AcroExch.FDFDoc
.fra=AcroExch.Lang
.jdf=AcroExch.JDFJobDef.1
.joboptions=AcroDistJobOptions
.mjd=AcroExch.JDFJobDef.1
.pdfxml=AcroExch.pdfxml
.rmf=AcroExch.RMFFile
.secstore=AcroExch.SecStore
.sequ=AcroExch.Sequence
.xfdf=AcroExch.XFDFDoc

It appears there is no association for .PDF so Windows will use Edge.

From the web, and it looks correct (I use a different viewer/editor):
"C:>assoc .pdf
.pdf=AcroExch.Document"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assoc-command-has-no-effect-for-pdf-extension/3456b282-3eac-46dd-a5e2-8f3d7b965439 notes where in the registry this association exists in case you want to forcibly remove the association before you make a new on.

Given ASSOC and FTYPE output, it should use Edge.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.