Hello, I recently had to change my Comcast router/modem. My laptop which runs Windows 8.1 does not list new network. My old network is still listed along with all my neighbor's networks. My new Comcast signal is split, 5g and 2.4ghz. All other devices have connected to new network except for this laptop. I have uninstalled Network driver and restarted laptop and still no connection. Driver is updated. I have also logged into my Comcast router to see if I could change this laptop from 5g to 2.4, but cannot find option to do so. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Small world. My neighbor had the same problem. Drivers didn't resolve this one so we installed a USB dual band WiFi stick and it works now.

commented: I looked on Amazon and there are many to chose from. Anything special I should be looking for? +1

Try looking at the best sellers then look for DUAL BAND models. We pay under 20 bucks each for these.

commented: ok, will do. Thank you so very much for your help. +0

I did purchase the Wi-Fi adapter from Amazon. My Comcast new network showed up. I have 5.0 and 2.4. I was able to connect to either one. However, when I went to browse the Internet, nothing happened. My Internet icon said "limited". I returned this item to Amazon. I then took this laptop to my son's home. He has Verizon FIOS. My laptop connected immediately to FIOS and no problems browsing. Do you think this is a Comcast issue?

commented: Yes. But they will tell you it's your PC. +17

If your new Wi-Fi network isn't showing up on your laptop, try refreshing the network list or toggling Wi-Fi off and on. Ensure the router is broadcasting the SSID and check if it's set to a frequency your laptop can detect (2.4GHz or 5GHz). Update your network drivers to the latest version from your laptop manufacturer's website. Finally, confirm you're within a good range of the router, as distance and obstacles can affect visibility. If the network is still not appearing, you may need to delve into more advanced settings or consider hardware issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.