I recently upgraded my system from win 98 to XP. I had standby with 98, but I don't have it now. When I try to go into hibernation, I see a sampling of a blue "dos" screen for a split second, then it disappears and the pc doesn't go into hibernation.

a. what may cause this?

b. why wouldn't this op sys go into standby? Could i need an upgraded bios?:evil: (just a guess)

thx

I recently upgraded my system from win 98 to XP. I had standby with 98, but I don't have it now. When I try to go into hibernation, I see a sampling of a blue "dos" screen for a split second, then it disappears and the pc doesn't go into hibernation.

a. what may cause this?

b. why wouldn't this op sys go into standby? Could i need an upgraded bios?:evil: (just a guess)

thx

Some older computers have issues with Windows XP's power save/APM settings.
First make sure that you have the latest drivers for your motherboard; sometimes there are specific power management software for computers, especially when dealing with old Compaqs.
If that doesn't help then try to look in Window's power options in the control panel. There is sometimes an option called "Use APN", or something like that.

Hopefully this will help you out!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.