ok my situations is
when i turn my pc it goes thru the normal procedure of starting up. all the way till you see the windows xp logo then it just goes away and the monitor is blank (a black screen). i tried the repair and that did not fix the problem. when i try to go open thru safe mode it tells me that windows xp setup cannot run under safemode. setup will restart now. can you help please i don't want to loose all my information on my hard drive so i really do not want to reformat and start all over. thanks

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

Can you get into the BIOS???(BY Hitting DELETE F6 F5 or what ever your comp screen says while its black before the XP screen appears after boot) hit refresh so you can see my post faster.

yes i am in the bios right now

ok can you see where it says boot from options choose boot from CD_ROM
Are you sure you did a REPAIR and not a RECOVERY
Heres a thread you should look at
[post=7207]CLIck HERE[/post]

Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314503

thank you so much that worked just booting up from the cd and reinstalling the os. not sure what caused the problem but thanks again.

If you ever make a system configuration change, and the damn thing won't boot up correctly when it loads windows, hit the f8 key when your PC is first booting. Run Windows in safe mode, and undo the configuration change, either by doing it manually, or system restore, than reboot.

I am trying to start my computer and it comes to the secreen that says windows xp and the cursor that runs from side to side stops and the whole things freezes, I can only reboot on safe mode, what can I do to fix it.

i tried to reinstall my windows xp pro by putting the disk in from the boot up.
It started installing and finished but now when i restart my computer it comes up with a blue screen and that say STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF9E4D640,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000) i know that the 0x0000007b means device error or something but i dont have a clue what to do.
Is there a way i can format my drive completly and reinstall windows again?

Use the Cd to format the drive. When you boot up with the Cd tell it to install a fresh copy of windows. It will ask you what partition. Just delete the partition that is there and it you want create a new one. It will then ask you is you want to format

i installed a new motherboard, and like the idiot i am, didn't put the driver cd in before i changed motherboards. well not exactly idiot, because the motherboard died. but now i'm running linux so i can't play games. any suggestions?

my pc won't start up the windows failed to start successfully screen comes up with the options i've tried all options including safe mode and last known good configuration and it does start up it goes right back to the windows failed to start screen what am i supposed to do?

Hi, i was having this problem when i uninstalled Norton 360, i tried to use the restore system and that didn't work, then i found this:

Windows does not start after installing a Norton program
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/0/cf3eb632f5e43803882570910061c766?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

i could make my comp work again, i guess that even without norton being the problem, if you follow steps 1 to 3, may help you at least to backup or move your important files while you find the real problem.

Hope that helps :)

I am using XP Home that came installed on my laptop. Before it got messed up, I had set up a password protected account on it so I am asked for that password. I enter it and then windows boots. So far, everything seems to be normal.

But instead of my desktop displaying in the color I had chosen, it displays all white. All desktop icons are there except shortcuts don't work (i.e. go anywhere), properties don't display etc. -- NOTHING!

Messahe on screen says "Active Desktop Recovery" showing a few options. One button says "Restore my Active desktop" but clicking IT does nothing all it shows is the busy hourglass.

START shows {empty}, RUN shows no options (no regedit or msconfig...nothing; internet icon goes no where. You get the picture...like there is nothing on the computer. I can't even do anything to show me the c-drive and its contents.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my pc won't start up the windows failed to start successfully screen comes up with the options i've tried all options including safe mode and last known good configuration and it does start up it goes right back to the windows failed to start screen what am i supposed to do?

Looks like a reformat with you sorry but try putting in the windows xp cd and using the reapir function if that doesnt work then:

If you have a second hdd unplug the one with the current xp installed on and put your other one in install xp on that reinsert the other hdd stop it from autoplaying then copy all the files back and configuartion files that you need for example desktop settings etc.

If you dont get hold of a usb stick and use windows pe boot disk (google it) this is windows xp on a disk therefore you can access your file system and save all the relevant files.

i installed a new motherboard, and like the idiot i am, didn't put the driver cd in before i changed motherboards. well not exactly idiot, because the motherboard died. but now i'm running linux so i can't play games. any suggestions?

Use your xp cd to repair what has happened is that your xp configuartion wont have liked you switching your motherboard so repairing will load the default drivers for your system and then when your back in windows you should be able to use xp again and install the corect drivers.

Or same advice as before use windows pe boot disk put the driver files in the right place and then reboot. But you will need two cd drives or your drivers on a usb disk.

kindly help me out, my system containing Windows xp will not boot, after taking the password, the message is saving your files and the system take me back to where it ask for press CTRl Alt Del.
Thank u

xp would not start!
last nite i used my pc as usual. However, today morning when i tried to start my pc i cannot go beyond the xp logon screen. Everytime i boot the computer reaches the logon and restarts.

I do have certain level of computer proficency, so i tried loading safe mode but that would not load as well. I tried the usual battery removal and reinsert procedure, it just made me reset the bios settings! but still im stuk at the same thing!....

I would prefer not to reinstall xp as there is sensitive data in my c drive.

Hi rambok4 and welcome to Daniweb,
You have hijacked an old thread from Oct 7th, 2007.

Please start your own thread and supply a lot more information about your machine, OS and problem.
A repair/install would save you that problem of losing your data, but with more information , we may be able to help you with a simpler fix.

You can try UBCD:-
An Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. Use the above link to download a customized ISO file of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. A CD-ROM created from this ISO file will be a bootable disk containing a myriad of diagnostics and utilities. The software contained on the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is either freeware or has been designed "for personal use only".
Click here for the official Ultimate Boot CD for Windows website: http://www.ubcd4win.com/
The Ultimate Boot CD assembles over 100 PC hardware diagnostic tools into a bootable CD to analyze and repair hardware and/or boot problems. Among its many features, it's great for testing RAM and/or whether a hard drive has crashed.
The Ultimate Boot CD for Windowsis the single most amazing disk I've ever seen. It's like having a spare hard drive fully loaded with WindowsXP and drivers, plus hardware diagnostics and software utilities such as malware and anti-virus scanners. According its website, the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. The goal of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is to be the most complete and easy-to-use free computer diagnostic tool available."
Some of the programs included are...
* MemTest-86 v3.5 (for testing system RAM)
* NTFS for DOS (for testing NTFS hard drives)
* Gabriel Topala’s System Info for Windows (for verifying hardware)
* Western Digital WinDlg (for hard drive testing)
* AusLogics Disk Defrag (for defragmenting hard drives)
* NicSpeed (for testing Network Interface Card speed)
* Avira Anti-Virus Scanner (with definitions current to December 18, 2009)
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Scanner (with definitions current to December 20, 2009)
* McAfee Stinger Anti-Virus Scanner

this is easy just u have to check your operating system drive . for this u go your drive properties n go tools menu - error checking - check now .
To do this u have at list another operating system.

Hi dev_dani and welcome to Daniweb,
The OP can not boot his machine into even safe mode, he can not check his drive in windows. The rules of this site prohibit "chat speak" Please use to whole word and not "U" "n" .Thank you.

I told that we use another OS for this. to do this install xp copy in same (if space available ) drive or different drive. I successfully did lots of time with my clients.

I told that we use another OS for this. to do this install xp copy in same (if space available ) drive or different drive. I successfully did lots of time with my clients.

all you need to do is boot to winxp cd and go to recovery and run chkdsk /f

In my point of view it doesn't work for problem like this . I try but not success .

but my friend I try again if I face the same problem thnex dear.

In my point of view it doesn't work for problem like this . I try but not success .

but my friend I try again if I face the same problem thnex dear.

run chkdsk /f ,from the winxp cd ,is doing the same as the way you described by going to harddrive/tools and run the check of the hdd.

I deleted a few things of my computer but they were jus normal programs i had downloaded nothing to do with the pc i think and every time i turn my comp on it loads normal windows logo comes up then blank screen for a split second and then it comes up tht windows cant not load etc and gives me 2 options to load windows with las known configuration tht works or load normally i have tryd both and it jus goes blank and then same screen reappears its driving me mad i cant reformat my computer as i will lose all my data from my iphone cause i cant transfer it to another computer stupid apple iphone can ne one please help me ????????????

Hi friend your problem is your operating system drive partition damage . you need repair this partition to solve the problem .

hey dani
im apsolutly useless and clueless with computers how would i go about solving this issue ?

hi...need help!!!
im not really into technical things...my windows wont start up....if i tried to choose safe mode or any option, it will just try to boot up but comes back to the page where it gives option wether start the windows to sage mode etc...please help.

i am using Window XP. and recently i was trying to burn as audio CD and it got hung. so i have switched off the power supply. now i am having problem with booting on my decktop i.e i am not able to start up my windows. i did check the cable and found okey....
please help me with a solution ........

Some common drives for motherboard is available, check it out.. Sure it will work for u..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.