Hi Guys

i need help bad

situation:

I have recently bought a Fujitsu Siemens amilo. Worked fine for a week.

I installed a music making programme off the internet (Magix music and video) - it worked then my computer switched its self off and rebooted - strange.

Laptop turns back on and works fine for an hour, I play a game I know works, half way through laptop turns its self off.

I switch it back on - it gets to the desktop screen and switches its self off.

I try and boot in safe mode - it gets to desktop screen switches its self off.

I try and boot from Boot CD - it gets to desktop screen and switches its self off.

I go to boot options using F8 - try to run windows from its last known good configuration - gets to desktop and switches its self off.

I insert recovery CD to do a fresh install of windows XP - it analyses my system, gives me the option to install a fresh version, hit enter - it swtiches its self off.

Im stumped I really am. I always thought that using the recovery CD would solve anything but the laptop will not stay on for me to use it.

Yes computer is plugged into mains and the plug is on!

I've exhausted my knowledge can any one help me work out whats wrong?

Info on running a diagnostic
Info on running in DOS mode

anything i have missed.

Please can anyone help im desperate.

Thankyou

p.s. windows stays on for 2 seconds.

p.s. i recently increased my virtual memory would this have anything to do with it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What did you set the virtual memory to? min/max or one set size? can you verify that the exhaust fan in the back is running?

What did you set the virtual memory to? min/max or one set size? can you verify that the exhaust fan in the back is running?

Virtual memory:

initial size 1000mb
maximum size 3000mb

and the system managed size is switched on.
I don't really have any experiance of virtual memory, have i done something wrong?

the physical RAM is 512Mb.

Fan is running normally.

Since windows loads and im not getting any error messages before it switches its self off im presuming its a hardware fault and not a driver fault or registry coruption....... is this correct?

the situation so far.....

i took out the battery of the laptop (i had to try something).

and windows loads up as usual but htis time stays on.
an error message also appears telling me that my ATI graphics card drivers are not installed (thye should be i did it 2 days ago).

So i co into command promt and set a checkdisk to run next time i boot up. I also run a scan disk at the same time.

scan disk - no errors.

I try a system restore - it goes through the process of restoring gets to the end and tells me system restore can not complete.

i reboot..... checkdisk kicks in as i've instructed. finds no errors and windows loads up with te same error warning.

so basically laptop is almost fixed, im going to do a fresh install of xp to be safe.

but why has this happened... i don't want this to happen again. can anybody piece together the clues?

the situation so far.....

i took out the battery of the laptop (i had to try something).

and windows loads up as usual but htis time stays on.
an error message also appears telling me that my ATI graphics card drivers are not installed (thye should be i did it 2 days ago).

So i co into command promt and set a checkdisk to run next time i boot up. I also run a scan disk at the same time.

scan disk - no errors.

I try a system restore - it goes through the process of restoring gets to the end and tells me system restore can not complete.

i reboot..... checkdisk kicks in as i've instructed. finds no errors and windows loads up with te same error warning.

so basically laptop is almost fixed, im going to do a fresh install of xp to be safe.

but why has this happened... i don't want this to happen again. can anybody piece together the clues?

Unless you do alot of graphics or 3D rendering 1000mb-3000mb is a bit much, Set it to a fixed size of 768/768, having the system manage your swap file means that file can grow and shrink and that means it can get fragmented, setting a fixed size swap file will ensure that the swap file its self doesnt get fragment so when windows goes to use it, its all in one place and not all over the drive. If you get low memory warnings then increase to 1024/1024. If you are going to do a fresh install be sure before anything else update XP and check your laptop manufacturers website and get all the updated drivers for it.

hey all,

another problem may be that you installed music software, and it restarted..y'know, because of needing to reconfigure. When it did, did you do anything? click anything? or was it sudden?

lol_hacker101

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.