I have a thread running in the Viruses forum, but with help from a member we have come to the conclusion its something else causing my problems. My symptoms are as follows:

I get "Cannot find server or DNS error" in IE and a similar message in FireFox. This happens randomly and can either occur when I am first opening my homepage or later on in the session.

I ran IEFix and that seems to have cleared it up, but the problem resumes when I reactivate Norton Internet Worm Protection, so I am currently running with all firewalls off.

If there is anyone who might be able to help me fix this problem entirely I would really appreciate your help. Thank you all! I will update if any new symptoms should show themselves.

Edit: got two new ones: Banner ads show the same "cannot find server or DNS error" message as regular sites, this is persisting even with worm protection off, so I guess that didnt fix it, additionally I still get some "Internet Explorer could not open search page" message popups and some sites still give me the error. I have Roadrunner with a cable modem and D-link router, network with a laptop and this computer.

Another Edit: I have IE 6.0 and FireFox 1.5.0.3

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joejoe

I have updated in another thread, please close this one if you can. Thank you

I have a thread running in the Viruses forum, but with help from a member we have come to the conclusion its something else causing my problems. My symptoms are as follows:

I get "Cannot find server or DNS error" in IE and a similar message in FireFox. This happens randomly and can either occur when I am first opening my homepage or later on in the session.

Sometimes I get a message popup saying "Internet Explorer Could not open search page"

I am running Windows XP home, SP2 with roadrunner, D-link router and norton antivirus, with worm protection (I think thats equivilant to firewall) off permanantly. I have also disabled Windows firewall. I have IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.5.0.3.

Additionally, some banner ads show this same DNS error message.

When I type the IP address of a site into the browser, it loads no problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I had the same problem and if you get whatever it is off you computer (i think it might be a trojan or trojans) download spybot search and destroy from www.download.com and enable the feature that asks you if you want to let programs change your registry.

ah ok found the problem and it is now corrected. I had some trojans, but it was my router that caused the problem. Thanks for ze help!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.