gazzaleanuk 0 Newbie Poster

Having got myself into a hole after I deleted the kid’s user accounts, I would dearly appreciate some assistance before I do anymore ‘damage’

Running XP pro Sp2 (auto-updated)

I suspect that in deleting accounts I managed to change group policy and switch my firewall off ( without realising for some days that I had done this)

Noticed after visitation from malware which knocked out Ms Defender and put and end to my ‘90-day’ free trial of Live OneCare (after nearly 8 months!)

So I have a dirty machine but I have all the necessary cleaning tools stored on a slave drive, so no worries…..

I wish!

Having attempted to reset group policy through [regedit >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall]

and then

[Gpedit.msc]

I then discover that the slave drive files are inaccessable due to ‘permissions’

So I look at Ms support and follow the drive>properties>security>permissions route

but then getting unstuck because
a) I change the settings to allow full permissions to all the user accounts found
( in Permissions>advance>browse) only to find it makes no difference to access to folders
b) I have tried checking and unchecking the ‘child’ permissions box and the ‘apply to all containers’ again still can not access files

In any event I am pretty clueless because I have no idea who/what most of the user accounts are doing there when I browse for them
(I only have 2 show up on Belarc advisor –Administrator and Guest - but have 8 other ‘users’ needing access/permission according to the browse function)

Any advice gratefully received

Gazza

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.