I have bought a used computer from work for a family member. Have completed all updates on it and SP2 is now installed. Tried turning on firewall but it gives me a message that it cannot be turned on as it is being monitored and controlled by network.(or something like that). How can I turn the firewall back on. Supposedly all these computers were wiped of information and XP put back in....and help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

intresting... can't help much with out an exact error message... this is to vague.
and, if your realling looking for a firewall... I would seriously consider a hardware firewall (consider a router from best buy or something)... software firewalls eat up system resources, prown to attack, and hijacking.

Okay - is this the error you are getting:
"For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy, the setting might be managed by Group Policy."

If so ... might be able to help...

"For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy, the setting might be managed by Group Policy."

Sorry for the vagueness. I thought I had emailed myself the wording but I did not..:(

I believe that is the message that appears when I try to turn on the XP firewall.

Thanks. :cheesy:

HELP :cry:

are there group policies on the PC, or can you log in as admin and make the change. I do not believe there are any local policies that cover the firewall, but it could not hurt to check them out.

I do not believe there are any other users listed on the computer other than the person listed as admin.

I am going to give this one last bump. I have tried everything that I can think of but cannot get XP firewall to become active...need to get rid of the group policy restriction...

If you bring up Start, choose Run and type in there gpedit.msc what happens?

it opens to group policy window but I have no idea what to do from there.....:(

I just wanted to make sure you have XP Pro first before I went hunting for the policy in my other instalation of XP.

In gpedit.msc under Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates and then go to Network and then Network Connections and under there you have Domain profile and Standard profile. Make sure under both profiles the Protect All Network Conections policy is Enabled and all the other policies are Not configured.

Lets see if that does it.

I just wanted to make sure you have XP Pro first before I went hunting for the policy in my other instalation of XP.

In gpedit.msc under Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates and then go to Network and then Network Connections and under there you have Domain profile and Standard profile. Make sure under both profiles the Protect All Network Conections policy is Enabled and all the other policies are Not configured.

Lets see if that does it.

That did the trick....:) YIPEEEEE
Gemini14, I thank you for your expertise and knowledge. Thanks to all who had some input.:)

:)

That did the trick....:) YIPEEEEE
Gemini14, I thank you for your expertise and knowledge. Thanks to all who had some input.:)

:)

Hey you're most welcome! I'm glad I could help you out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.