I've just been given a spare hard drive that works great except for one thing. Whenever I move my mouse the monitor goes a reddy colour and sometimes has stripes. It's not my monitor, mouse, keyboard etc as they work fine when hooked up to my original hardrive. My refresh rate is 75 hertz my power is okay I guess because I run my comp on it with no probs.
Am I up for a new video card or could it be something else??? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's a great hardrive with everything I want in it.
Cheers!!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

it's a great hardrive with everything I want in it.
Cheers!!

does that mean you didn't do a fresh install of windows,or are you refering to the whole tower as a harddrive !!

Yes I am referring to the whole tower as a hard drive, oops hehehe. I did not do a fresh install of windows. The harddrive thats in the tower I was given has Windows xp professional on it and I only have home edition so I want to keep xp pro.

Yes I am referring to the whole tower as a hard drive, oops hehehe. I did not do a fresh install of windows. The harddrive thats in the tower I was given has Windows xp professional on it and I only have home edition so I want to keep xp pro.

thought so, its ok to keep it ,did you try changing the refresh rate back a bit to say ,60 and see what happens .

The refresh rate was originally at 60, I changed it to 75 but that didn't help.
Major probs now. I took the Video card out to get the numbers etc off it to find out what video card it is, put it back in and now when I start the comp all I get is a signal cable disconnect note on the monitor??!! Everything is plugged in right, the power was off when I took out and replaced the video card I dont know whats happened??!! When I turn the comp on it doesn't sound like it's doing that POST thing it usually does...you know the noise I mean?

Video card might look like its in right ,but sometime it out of the slot slightly on one end,!!,make sure its in fully on both ends ,if its AGP[brown slot ] make sure the little lock ,if one exists, is in lock position

Video card might look like its in right ,but sometime it out of the slot slightly on one end,!!,make sure its in fully on both ends ,if its AGP[brown slot ] make sure the little lock ,if one exists, is in lock position

If the card is not slotted in properly, the BIOS would certainly emit the alarm and Windows wouldn't boot up. If the card is doing what you're saying after a while, or on specific software which require high resources, then most probably the card is overheating due to a malfunction and therefore should be replaced. If the card is giving you problems on bootup, try and re-install the drivers or remove the last applications you installed before encountering these problems. Try one last thing....if you've got a spare display card, say from a friend, try to install it on your PC to isolate the problem. If the card works (the one you borrowed), than you need to replace the original card. If it does not work, then you've got a problem with the signal cable.

I got it working by removing the ram and then putting it back the comp starts now..but I still get a red flickering all over the screen??

I got it working by removing the ram and then putting it back the comp starts now..but I still get a red flickering all over the screen??

Most probably your monitor signal cable has become defective. Try and connect another monitor to confirm. Cheers

Most probably your monitor signal cable has become defective. Try and connect another monitor to confirm. Cheers

I tried the moniter on another computer and it works well, it mainly happens when the mouse gets moved or a program is running

I tried the moniter on another computer and it works well, it mainly happens when the mouse gets moved or a program is running

Since this a reciently recieve tower ,have you ran any virus scan or spywre scans on it since you got it .
start with this one .
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Since this a reciently recieve tower ,have you ran any virus scan or spywre scans on it since you got it .
start with this one .
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

I have run a spyware scan and a few turned up fixed that problem... going to run a virus scan very shortly. Will relpy with the results.

cheers

Went to run a virus scan but the comp wont even go past the windows xp screen..all I get is a green screen with lines running down it. Tried to go into safe mode but can not read the screen so now I am really stumped on what to do??

Went to run a virus scan but the comp wont even go past the windows xp screen..all I get is a green screen with lines running down it. Tried to go into safe mode but can not read the screen so now I am really stumped on what to do??

make sure there isn't a bent pin on the video card to monitor cable connection ,you may have a bad video card

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.