bkelly 0 Newbie Poster

I am having a network problem. The first indicator is that I cannot receive broadcast packets on my desktop.

Specifics: Using Microsoft visual C# express I obtained some demo code and built a UDP talker and a UDP listener. I start up both on my desk top running XP Professional. I start both on my laptop running XP Pro. Messages send from the desktop are received by the laptop, but not the desktop. Messages sent by the laptop are received by the laptop, but not the desktop. Both are connected to a Belkin wireless router though a hard connection, then to a cable modem. Both have internet access.

I try to investigate with Start | Windows Firewall and I get the message “Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

I click the Yes button and get the response: Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service. Unfortunately, I just cannot find the buttons that say “Why not?” and “Do it anyway #$$%@!e”

So I go to Control Panel | Network Connections and find “Local Area Connection 2.” Although it contains a “2” in the name, it is the only entry in Network Connections. There I double click or right click on this “Local Area Connection 2”, and Control Panel locks up. It won’t respond to anything, it won't resize, it won’t move, it won’t do anything. I have to use task manager to get rid of it. Oops, I just found that it I leave it alone for a few minutes while I write this, the window kind of blinks then I can use the back button to get back to Control Panel. But if I click Local Area Connection 2, it locks up again.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? The primary objective is enabling the receipt of broadcast messages on my desktop.