Hi, I am very new here, so I am not sure if it is the right place for my problem, but I will risk. I've already asked for help in a different section, but no one was able to answer my questions.
I am trying to connect to Internet using Tiscali Broadband,it says it's connected, the modem has two steady lights,but I am getting the DNS error when I am trying to open any websites in my browser (Internet Explorer 6.0) or when I am logging into MSN Live Messenger it reports that I am facing a DNS problem on my PC. I've pinged my IP address and my DNS servers, I asked my collegue to ping my IP and DNS externaly and it was successfull. I am unable to access any websites even using their IP addressess.
I've reinstalled the Tiscali Modem and rebooted the PC couple times. I am running out of ideas what could cause this problem. All my settings seem to be fine as it worked allright on Tuesday morning and I haven't changed anything. I also run a scan on the PC to check if there's any spyware but it didn't find anything.
I don't have any personal firewalls installed and the Windows firewall is currently turned off.
I would really appreciate your help as I am very very :sad: :sad: concerned.

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

First of all we need to now what operating system you are using and what brand/model of modem you have then we can try some things out.

First of all we need to now what operating system you are using and what brand/model of modem you have then we can try some things out.

Hi,
I am using Windows XP Proffesional, Modem: Sagem Speedtouch 330.

thanks in advance

Try this out then:
1. Click Start then Run and type in cmd then press Enter...this will bring up command prompt.
2. in command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (you will get a message saying successfully flushed DNS)
3. type exit and try browsing again

If this does not work than do the following:
If this is Windows XP with SP2 then do the following:
1. Click on Start then run again and cmd should still be there press enter.
2. Type in (no quotes) "netsh winsock reset catalog" then press enter(in a few seconds you should get a message saying that system must be restarted)
3. Type exit then enter.
4. Click on Start then Turn Off Computer then click on restart then when system comes back up try browsing again.

If this is not a computer with SP2 let me know and I will post the instructions for Sp1.

Thank you very very much, the issue is now resolved and I can browse again:) :) :)

Your help is much appreciated

Regards,

Magda

Hello,

I am having the same difficulty. I am using Windows XP service pack 2, and I'm connecting through a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

I tried the above steps, and completed them successfully. However the problem was not fixed. I would appreciate any other suggestions though.

Thanks in advance.

Try this out then:
1. Click Start then Run and type in cmd then press Enter...this will bring up command prompt.
2. in command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (you will get a message saying successfully flushed DNS)

2. Type in (no quotes) "netsh winsock reset catalog" then press enter(in a few seconds you should get a message saying that system must be restarted)
3. Type exit then enter.
4. Click on Start then Turn Off Computer then click on restart then when system comes back up try browsing again.

If this is not a computer with SP2 let me know and I will post the instructions for Sp1.

Just wanted to say thanks a million. I had the same problem and your second set of instructions worked!! THANK YOU!!

My mom is having this same problem and she has SP1. Can you post the instructions for SP1 please?? Thank you very much!!

I sure hope someone has an answer for this one. I've been pulling my hair out for 3 days now. I'm a software developer, and am somewhat familiar with networking and OS guts, but can't figure this one out:

We have 8 Windows machines on our LAN and all work perfectly except ONE, which uses XP Media Center (Home) SP3, and worked fine until last week.
I can ping everywhere, using both IP address & machine/domain name.
I can map drives.
I can access this machine from other machines using Remote Desktop.
But IE7 is dead, just displays "IE cannot display the webpage".
Network diagnostics results are attached.
Windows Firewall is OFF. No other firewall installed.
Tried "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt", Tried "netsh winsock reset catalog", Tried "ipconfig /flushdns", Tried installing IE8.
DHCP looks OK, no IP conflicts, etc.
Time to get the hammer?

I sure hope someone has an answer for this one. I've been pulling my hair out for 3 days now. I'm a software developer, and am somewhat familiar with networking and OS guts, but can't figure this one out:

We have 8 Windows machines on our LAN and all work perfectly except ONE, which uses XP Media Center (Home) SP3, and worked fine until last week.
I can ping everywhere, using both IP address & machine/domain name.
I can map drives.
I can access this machine from other machines using Remote Desktop.
But IE7 is dead, just displays "IE cannot display the webpage".
Network diagnostics results are attached.
Windows Firewall is OFF. No other firewall installed.
Tried "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt", Tried "netsh winsock reset catalog", Tried "ipconfig /flushdns", Tried installing IE8.
DHCP looks OK, no IP conflicts, etc.
Time to get the hammer?

I just ran into this problem as well and the fix was to go into IE, Tools menu, Internet Options, Connections tab, click the LAN Settings button and uncheck the Proxy Server box.

Try this out then:

3. Type exit then enter.

Hi there,
I tried your suggestions, but I get the message:

>"The requested operation requires elevation."

What should I do? The IExplorer runs OK, but the mozila is not working.

Thanks

hi I'm having the same problem, i'm connected but can´t access the internet, I can use Skype but not internet. I've already tried all the things posted, no effect though.
My computer´s windows Xp SP3. our wireless modem D-Link Dir - 635. Everyone else can connect wirelless I'm the only one who can´t!

hello, i read the above suggestions and solutions, but it didn't worked in my PC..please help me..i tried several ways already and still the same problem....i also try to change the DNS, and it's still the same....the page cannot be displayed always appear..but there is an internet connection but i can't connect..don't know why??i have a headache already thinking of so many ways to make it work...so please please, help me....thanks in advance

I have a small problem with nowhere to turn. I left for a holiday for a week and come back and the Internet was playing up. I checked the modem and it shows that my Ethernet cable is fine. The dsl light is on. It's just that the light that shows I'm connected to the Internet is not lighting up. All the laptops in the house can connect to it's wireless network. Jut can't connect
to the Internet.
Windows XP professional
Thompson wireless modem.
All cables are connected as usual.

Thanks

I have a small problem with nowhere to turn. I left for a holiday for a week and come back and the Internet was playing up. I checked the modem and it shows that my Ethernet cable is fine. The dsl light is on. It's just that the light that shows I'm connected to the Internet is not lighting up. All the laptops in the house can connect to it's wireless network. Jut can't connect
t

Hi,
I have the same problem in Vista Operating system. I am able to connect to Internet but nable to open any web pages.
Kindly suggest.
Regards.
Vamshi.

Try this out then:

3. Type exit then enter.

The problem that I had was with the settings of the AntiVirus that I was using. Somehow it was set so that it would block Mozila.
You can check that as well.

If you don't have any, you can check also the Vista Firewall.

Thank you very much. I had the same problem, now resolved with your suggested comand. You are great.

Not working again, worked only single day. :(

When i am try to open a website like facebook yahoo gmail miniclip etc so suddenly error comes that "Use of the following website is against company policy. You are wasting bandwidth!" and internet explorer and google chrome automaticaly close shutdown so please solve this problem thanks

Are you at home or at work?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm having an issue with my computer. I have a wireless connection & it says it's connected, but when I click on IE it will come up a blank page. When I go to the tools section on the browser I can't click on internet options.

Do you have any other browsers like firefox or chrome? If so, do they work?

Open a command box (click on start button, type cmd in the search box and press enter) then type ping www.google.com what result do you get?

If you are on a 'company machine' this might be the reason you are seeing this, Where are you trying this from. if at Home then you need to provide a little more info.

omg pabs31 thank you so much for your suggestion. It fixed my pc! I would kiss you if I could. Man or Woman.

i need graphics programing

I have windows vista. Had pc shutdown for 3 yrs. Now, try to run, but can not. I tried just about everything I know, but to no avail. I am connected to internet, but, keeps popping up error 756 and error 813 repeatedly, can not navigate, shows it is offline, can not go online

Not sure if this post is still active. I have similar issue. Can connect to bing.com (only). Seriously? The OS allows connection to one website but no others? Old Dell E1705, with XP. Tried all the tricks listed. Any ideas?

commented: This must be in a new post. I have reasons why XP won't work today. +15

I had the same issue. Solved it by downloading an older full version of the Firefox browser from another computer, transferring it to USB drive, and installing on the affected computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.