Hi I just installed Norton net security and in the instructons it mentions that it blocks file/printer sharing by default. When I am trying to connect to someone over MSN messenger to have a videconference or swap files I've found the only thing to do to get it to work was to enable file/printer sharing and disable Win XP firewalls as well as my old Zone Alarm firewall. Is there something I'm missing here about how to get a videoconference to work? i.e. do i need to enable the file/printer sharing?
Thanks

Yeah, if you're going to be sharing files and doing messaging over the Net, you'll unfortunately have to open up some ports that are considered security risks.
As for file sharing, obviously you'll need sharing enabled in order for others to see/use your shared folders. I haven't been able to find the connection (or if there really is one) between MSN Messenger and file/print sharing, but I'll research it further and repost if I find any info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.