hi to you good folks......I've been given an old computer for the wee lass with win95 installed...told you it was an oldie.....I want to install win98se onto it but don't know where to start. I have a win98se floppy boot disk and win98se CD....where do I go from here please....I don't know the commands to type to install....dose the floppy format the drive which is small ready to accept win98se or do I need to do this first...if so, how do I do it.....sorry for annoying you good folks but I'm afraid, as you no doubt noticed, I'm a big bit thicker than your average user...simple as possible please...many many thanks...Andy

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

When you put the floppy in the drive and power the system up, do you get an A:> prompt?

If so, try popping the Windows CD in the CD drive, and typing:

dir D:

Hit the <ENTER> key and let us know if you get a listing of the CD contents please.

If you don't, there are other steps you need to take before proceeding.

With the win98 boot disk boot computer ,at the prompt type ,Format c:\,
after format ,with the win98 cd in the cdrom drive ,type ,SETUP and follow on screen instructions .and get ready to do some searching for Drivers ,unless they supplied them with the computer .there is a way to install 98 over 95 keepind all file now on the computer intact ,if you wish to do this let me know and i will help you do it that way .

I think we need to ascertain if that old PC has an IDE or a Panasonic CD-ROM in there! If it's a Panasonic drive, hooked up to an old soundcard, then some preparation needs to occur befor the Windows setup can proceed. ;)

I think we need to ascertain if that old PC has an IDE or a Panasonic CD-ROM in there! If it's a Panasonic drive, hooked up to an old soundcard, then some preparation needs to occur befor the Windows setup can proceed. ;)

AH ! your spoiling all the fun!! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.