New to laptop keyboard.

I cannot work out how to operate the key board to bring up an apostrophe as used in for example -

she+s

My laptop is second hand so I have no manual.

regards,

FreeFolios.
Cyprus

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

My laptop is second hand so I have no manual.

Um, yes- but neither do we... :mrgreen:

Care to at least tell us the make/model of laptop?

You don't see a ' symbol anywhere on the keyboard?? That's weird.

You may have software installed which is re-assigning the output of keypresses on your system. A list of the installed programs you see in 'Add/Remove Programs' (from Control Panel) might help us to identify what it is, if that is the case.

Thank you for your input.

There is a key which I think is the one which is laid out as follows -

Right facing tag arrow head at top left------Full stop [period] at top right.
Full stop [period] at bottom left.

I suppose my question really is -

- which key combination should activate top right hand key indicators?

On my previous MacOs desktop I could call up various keyboard graphic layouts to find out what to do for each character.

kindest,

FreeFolios
Cyprus.

=========================================

Um, yes- but neither do we... :mrgreen:

Care to at least tell us the make/model of laptop?

You don't see a ' symbol anywhere on the keyboard?? That's weird.

You are definitely going to need to provide us with the make/model of your laptop, I'm afraid!

That all sounds very non-standard. Most keyboards have a key which doubles up for single and double quotes.

yeah it should be right next to semicolon(;) ie ' " see their on the same key!

umm have you tried making sure that you dont have numlock on, i know for some keyboard the keypad is integrated directly onto the keys. so the key would list two to three function. IE the key may have 0 ) and 9 all on one key.

also some laptops have buttons on them for accessing other keys. and last but not least, do you even see a picture for the key that should have ' printed on it? or are some of the keys rubbed out?

Ah, OK -that is a slightly different question.
Killer_Typo is right- to get to those characters, activating numlock should do you.

(By the way- The second "full stop" on the key you describe is actually a decimal point)

yeah it should be right next to semicolon(;) ie ' " see their on the same key!

umm have you tried making sure that you dont have numlock on, i know for some keyboard the keypad is integrated directly onto the keys. so the key would list two to three function. IE the key may have 0 ) and 9 all on one key.

also some laptops have buttons on them for accessing other keys. and last but not least, do you even see a picture for the key that should have ' printed on it? or are some of the keys rubbed out?

============================================
Killer-Typo

Many thanks. The key is next right to the semcolon.

I took this to be a comma as its symbol is placed in the lower left hand corner of the key - I try not to use commas!

My laptop's maufacture is -

Dual-tech
VIDAR 9900

- of which I have never heard!

Made in Taiwan.

kindest

FreeFolios
Cyprus.

Marking this topic solved.

Re: Apostrophe - How to find the key location.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Typo

yeah it should be right next to semicolon( ie ' " see their on the same key!

============================================
Killer-Typo

Many thanks. The key is next right to the semcolon.

I took this to be a comma as its symbol is placed in the lower left hand corner of the key - I try not to use commas!

My laptop's maufacture is -

Dual-tech
VIDAR 9900

- of which I have never heard!

Made in Taiwan.

kindest

FreeFolios
Cyprus.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.