I've had my HP computer for quite some time now, and been running Windows XP home on it since i've first gotten it, and its worked very well for the last 3 years. That was, untill recently :rolleyes:

Whenever i turn on the computer, i'm getting this nasty little message telling me..

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might of caused this...

It then gives me the options to start in various Safe Modes, and the last known good config, and to start Windows normally, all of these options seem to restart the computer and return me to this screen.

Normally i would just the reformat the computer's hard drive (as i've done via the use of the XP discs on my personal laptop). But this is the family's computer and there is data on it that i dont wish to lose.

In summation, my problem is this;

I can't boot into windows XP (home)
I have the Windows XP disc
I DONT want to lose any data on the Hard Drive
I'm using a HP

Is there any hope for saving my family's little workhorse?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

My son tells me the last time it was working, he installed some software for his French class, and uninstalled a version of Quicktime, and replaced it with and older one.

If thats any help to anyone.

You could try a last good configuration. You could also take the hdd and install it as a slave drive in another computer and save you files to a CD or DVD and then wipe the drive and start over.

Last good configuration does nothing, it trys to boot up windows (i assume, anyway) and then returns to the same screen.

I am also unable to install the HD into another computer, wouldn't know how to, and my only other computer is a laptop.

Thanks anyway though

Last good configuration does nothing, it trys to boot up windows (i assume, anyway) and then returns to the same screen.

I am also unable to install the HD into another computer, wouldn't know how to, and my only other computer is a laptop.

Thanks anyway though

put the windows disk in the cdrom ,reboot computer to the windows disk and choose repair ,using the recovery consul, type in , CHKDSK /r,note there is a space between the K and the /r, let window scan and repair the drive ,when its finished remove the windows cd from the drive,and type in exit,and reboot windows this may fix you problem

if that doesnt work you could try a repair install or linux livecd - would most likely break the install but may guve you enough time to get critical documents off

Thankyou both, i'll do that after work and give you the verdict.

Nope, sadly the chkdsk did not work, it found and fixed one 'error on the volume' apprantly, but I cant see any difference, its still booting to the original black and white screen, with none of the options doing anything

:S

I can think of some possibilities:

- The boot sector is missing from the hard disk.

- Loose cable inside the computer.

- The hard disk is not working right. Older ones get bearing freeze and won't spin. Or the computer may have been movede with the power on (headcrash).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.