Nanci252 0 Light Poster

Machine is CompaqEVO d510, running WinXP Pro.
Machine is 'located' in Quebec, Canada....(a college girlfriend)...and I am in W.Pa., USA.
We are using GoToMyPC as a remote assistance tool, and RecoverMyFiles (paid) as recovery tool

Back story:
Her machine was hacked. Primary functions are carrying on just fine. Major issue : Important financial and address book files were destroyed and or lost.

She is a Non-tech,and I am fairly well skilled....but Hardware is much more my talent than software. With software, I "get it" - but have had far less exposure than I have w/hardware.

I did instruct her to install RecoverMy.., onto her D drive - Not C ; but found at time of 'save' that it had been installed on same drive as recovery files...C.......and the night she fired it up, she went and told it to look on D as well. Now we're out of drives.

We Have previewed thru the Found files - 40% are corrupted, or overwritten (dead), and 60% Including what we can recognize as data that is Hers, and Valid....in various sub-folders of the recovery programs findings.

Lack of cash and supplies....we have a day or so until she has DVD's on hand to SAVE the program findings of RecoverMyFiles - and get around that 'same drive' problem.

In the meantime, I'm piecing together how to restore those files back into a version on her continuiing to work just fine, machine so she's repaired. That's the ticket. Being certain to not lose function of XP, or hardware During recovering those files.

Outlook Express was her default Mail handler....AddressBook. The root folder .wab is overwritten badly. several .ini files of Outlook are corrupt enough to fall into Medium category with recovery programs grade system. The Dc450.csv file is of course in computer-speak (lots of html) but with large text and patience....it is in fact all the data that had been hers. For the time it's taking to get her back to normal....she's going line by line to find telephone #'s manually in that file if she needs them.
She's using MSN hotmail for email right now. Outlook is acting as if totally dead.
But remaining computer functions are actually moving more speedy than before.

My question is: Do I need to have a fresh install of Internet Explorer (from MS site) to begin reconstructing Outlook - once I can tell it to Import address book data (that .csv file) from a DVD.......as it will not, and cannot import out of RecoverMy.. program as it sits right now. Tells me NO.
Of course, because RecoverMy wants her to SAVE from it, not copy from it.

I'm not well versed on Registry editing, and only tackle it with great research detail Ahead of going there.
I'm certain already that System Restore has been damaged by the hack damage, and we tried her CD - which failed badly - it is kicking back the 25 digit key - as Invalid. It was the CD given at purchase, but machine holds the OEM XP. There's also a french/english thing going one with that too.
I mailed her a brand new XP Pro which we can use if needed. Just overwrite the old xp install. Have done that sort of thing Many times....to excellent result.
YES. I already educated her about backups....which there were none. And when repair is complete....that is my very next action !

BASICALLY.......WE FOUND VALID DATA SHE CAN IDENTIFY. IT IS STILL ON HER MACHINE IN RECYCLER. WE HAVE A WAY TO GET IT OUT OF THERE, ONTO DVD'S.
I DO NOT TRUST I AM DOING THIS RIGHT, AND NOT POSITIVE BY THINGS I'VE RESEARCHED.....THAT I KNOW HOW TO GET IT FROM DVD TO THE RIGHT PLACE ??

ADVICE PLEASE ?? THANK YOU !!!
Nan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.