Hi Everyone

I'm running a legal copy of WinXP Pro SP2 with all possible updates on an nForce 3 250 (Gigabyte) Athlon 64 platform.

Lately, every time I've been using Sleep or Hibernate, the computer freezes in the middle of the process.

I do not know where to start looking in order to try and slove this problem. The drivers for the MB and chipset haven't been updated in over a year.

Thanks! :-|

OK

I received a reply from Gigabyte, but I'm not sure what to do with it:

All GIGABYTE M/B support STD (S4) function. However, there isn't any specific item under BIOS to set up. You only have to load optimized and do the setting under O.S. Thereafter, you have to make sure that all of your devices, such as, CD-ROM, HDD, etc. all support this function, if not, you may request the vendor to update the driver for you.

If you still get the negative result, please try first with only HDD, VGA, RAM. And add on other devices to try out.

I understand that I should set my BIOS to "Optimized Settings" (it's a factory preset), but where the heck can I get drivers for my HD, DVD-ROM and RAM ?? :-| Aren't they built into Windows? I'll update my VGA drivers, no doubt there are newer ones, but again, I don't know what to do with the other hardware... :sad:

Thanks everyone!

OK guys! :)

(I'm starting to get this odd feeling I'm talking to myself here, but nevermind... :cheesy: )

It seems that the AMD "Cool 'n Quiet" driver which was installed (by me actually...) beforehand caused the problem. The minute I removed it the computer's Sleep and Hibernate functions worked again.

It seems that AMD has released a newer version for the driver, I might use it (or not). I didn't see any change in the CPU's clock speed / voltage / temperature when the driver was installed anyway, so I don't know how much it's worth... :-|

Anyway, I hope I helped anyone else here by posting the solution.

Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.