another question for you guys....i'm having a lot of trouble giving someone persmissions to a file contained within a folder on our network. she needs to modify a template and overwrite an existing file. she has every permission on the folder and the 2 files exept full control. everyone who has her permissions can modify that folder but it keeps telling me, when she does it, the folder is read only.....any help would be appreciated.
windows2000 server and i'm not sharing anything (files or folders), just modifying the security.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hmm. question, can you modify the files she is trying to modify. if you can't. the folder or file is "read-only". To change the status of the folder or FILE right click it, select properties from the context menu. then you wil see 2 check boxes next to attributes.
Read only and hidden. makesure readonly is not checked.

Go to the template > right mousebutton.....
...at the Card "safety attitudes" klick on "enhanced" and than doubleklick the username. Try to find the difference to the other users there. Bernie ;)

the folder itself is not "read only" and when modify it, i can because i have full rights to everything. my administrator marked the template file with "read only" just so it doesn't get overwritten yet when i right click on that template, read only is not checked. even if i try to do a "save as" and create a name diff from anything in there (using the lady's name) it is giving me read only. i've tried to change security on the folder itself and both the files within the folder. i've tried to use the advanced button on the folder and reset the child folders and have the child folders inheret the security from the parent folder. i just don't want to completely reset ALL the security on this folder and make everybody else lose their rights to modify these files because they're actually working. and i've checked the rights EVERYWHERE to make sure nothing was diff with anybody. thanks for your help guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.